Talk

Advanced search

Keeps detatching every few seconds

(6 Posts)
susj Tue 16-Aug-05 21:02:11

My son is 8 weeks old and has just started faffing around during feeds, he latches on then takes about 4 gulps then comes off (often dragging at my nipple) then attaches himself again takes another 4 gulps and detaches again and so on... He has only just started this. He is generally a really good feeder and is massive for his age so i am not concerned about his weight or anything but it is very hard to satisfy his hunger when he keeps doing this. Any suggestions?

Mads1 Tue 16-Aug-05 21:07:20

dear susj
my dd has started to do this i read that it could several things:
1) There's no let down and DD is impatient for it
2) Maybe baby has blocked nose?
3) Needs a poo!? My dd sometimes does this and then within a minute suddenly fills her nappy!
4)Had enough or emptied the breast

I'm no expert but i bear these in mind when my dd is doing it and one of these answers tends to fit.
Hope this help.

Mads1 Tue 16-Aug-05 21:09:16

Sorry forgot to mention. If he is gaining weight ok then he is obviously getting what he needs and so try not to worry! Like alot of things,hopefully it's a phase and it will pass.

hunkermunker Tue 16-Aug-05 21:09:25

Sounds like he's reaching the age of the distractible baby - they get distracted by things as they realise there's a world beyond the boob.

(Boobs are never empty - don't worry about that)

SpikeMomma Tue 16-Aug-05 21:36:39

Mine is 6wks and starting to do the same - was a good feeder before this. I found if i take him off and wind him usually get a burp then put him back on he is less 'playful' (cast eyes up!). He sort of 'head bobs' and it's really uncomfortable! Good luck!

Roobie Tue 16-Aug-05 22:51:27

Ds has been doing this on and off for ages now (he is 16 weeks) - it's quite cute when he looks up at you all animated but the sudden detaching does get beyond a joke sometimes (elastic nipple time!). I find that sitting him up and changing breast helps sometimes as does holding the back of his head and gently 'forcing' him to stay on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now