Talk

Advanced search

b/f baby lost over a pound in 10 days

(71 Posts)
Bron Thu 17-Jul-03 18:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stinky Thu 17-Jul-03 18:37:59

keep perservering. I bf my ds and had the same problem with interferring relatives. He didn't follow his line in fact went from 75th centile to 9th but had a wonderful HV who encouraged me to keep going despite her assistant trying to get me to bottle feed when she was on holiday. I admit I nearly caved in then and even bought formula milk, but managed to speak to h/v the next morning who was so supportive that I kept going and am so glad I did. I b/f for a year and he is now a health 3.9 yo.

It's very hard when you face so much opposition and all you want to do is the best you can and the way you want to do it.

All you can do is your best and follow your instincts.

Good Luck.

Bron Thu 17-Jul-03 18:51:55

musica Thu 17-Jul-03 18:53:10

My ds was nearly 10lb when born, and lost over a pound in the first week. He was born at the beginning of a heatwave, and one of the problems was he was very sleepy in feeds, and didn't get the milk going early on. I ended up mixed feeding him, which actually worked ok for me, and I breastfed him till he was well over a year, but it wasn't my plan, and with no.2 I'm going to try and make it work better.

One thing that was interesting was that ds was born on the 98th centile, and dropped down to the 25th. He's settled on the 25th, and followed that curve quite precisely - I wonder if he was just born 'too big'. Certainly he has never achieved any of the landmark 'regain birthweight by 10 days' - it was 5 weeks ' double birthweight by 6 months' - he was 1, 'triple birthweight by 1' - he's over 2 and we're still way off!!

I would say don't worry, persevere, keep baby awake during feeds, and if you're determined not to give a bottle, stick to your guns. As long as baby is alert and wetting his nappies enough then there's probably nothing to worry about!

batey Thu 17-Jul-03 18:53:44

Is he latching on,feeding for more than a few minuets at a time etc? I only ask 'cos my dd2 "struggled" with feeding for her first 10 days, lost alot of weight etc. Many mutterings from midwives etc. Until they FINALY discovered her cleft palate, even though they all ticked the box saying that they'd checked it since day1!

Don't want to alarm you you, but it just sounded familiar to me. Hope things improve

SoupDragon Thu 17-Jul-03 18:54:40

They can't *make* you do anything, Bron. She can't physically pin you down and force you to feed your baby formula.

I can't tell you exactly how much DS1 lost but at birth he was 10lb 1oz and 14 days later he was 9lb 11oz. I think he lost about 2lbs on his birth weight before we managed to "sort him out" without resorting to formula (despite m/w's dire threats and warnings ). The heat will not be helping - both DS1 and 2 had phases of refusing to feed when it was too hot.

Hang on in there and don't do anything you are not happy with. I'm not going to yell at you but you could consider topping up your DS2 for a short time to pick his weight up - this does not mean you will always be needing to top him up. Formula isn't poison although I have to confess I thought it was 1st time round!

Good luck! You already *know* you can do this as you've done it before. You just need to figure out how to feed this particular little Bronlet.

SoupDragon Thu 17-Jul-03 18:55:26

Can't you arrange to be out all day tomorrow?

princesspeahead Thu 17-Jul-03 19:01:00

Bron, I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with being a pound less heavy at 11 days old - it is quite within normal range especially if you have a big baby to start with - first because they are more able to afford to lose a pound (as a % of bodyweight) and second because they are so big and hungry it may take a while longer for your milk supply to meet their needs. Point both of those out to your GP. What I expect he/she SHOULD be looking for is signs of dehydration, and if ds2 does show any then obviously you will have to take your GP's advice, but you could ask if you can deal with that by trying to get a bit of water down him between feeds rather than supplementing.
Having said all that, if he is dehydrated and your GP insists that he takes some formula, it isn't the end of the world. You can keep with as much bf as before, give him the extra, and express during that extra feed to stimulate your supply more. Then when ds2 is back on the right track (which may only take a few days) you can put him fully on the breast again.
Good luck with all of it, but remember that whatever you do will be the right thing for ds and I'm sure none of it will jeopardise your bfing in the long run.

motherinferior Thu 17-Jul-03 19:09:26

I'm just emailing to say hang on in there. The rest of us June/Julyers are just about managing to hang on as well, but only by our fingernails - bloody HV is all you need. xxxxxxx

Bossanova Thu 17-Jul-03 19:22:16

Bron, what a bully your locum hv sounds. Please, please stand up to her you are doing fine. Musica could almost be writing about me her story sounds so much like my experience except my ds managed to maintain his weight in the first week. He weighed nearly ten pounds at birth and quite frankly did not have a clue regarding feeding but I persevered as I had fed dd myself (and she did lose nearly a pound in the first week!) for nearly two years. I finished with the bedtime bf with ds at 2. Just keep your belief in yourself and don't listen to those trying to put you off. You can do it.

LIZS Thu 17-Jul-03 19:24:27

Hang on in there you are doing well and you can point to your previous success as good reason to continue. If your family are that concerned perhaps they could help out over the weekend so that you can focus just on your new baby. You really need their support as the stress of having them and health professionals breathing down your neck is hardly going to help you get feeding established. Just to second Soupdragon noone can "make" you feed him formula. If your baby is otherwise healthy then you should be able to buy more time.

Good luck

bossykate Thu 17-Jul-03 19:31:49

hi bron, is your baby lively and alert, with plenty of wet and dirty nappies? is he reasonably happy, not crying or grizzling more than normal? if so, then he is more than likely fine regardless of the weight loss. agree that no-one can *make* you give him formula. i recommend that you stress the objective evidence that he's fine to the dr if you see him/her tomorrow. good luck.

Marina Thu 17-Jul-03 19:43:53

Bron, why would anyone yell at you, you poor thing? The locum HV sounds like a barmy control freak (maybe why she is not in a proper HV job?). As others have said, she cannot make you give your little one formula, but those of us who also struggled with getting b/f established *and* had a child who lost over 1lb off his birth weight in a fortnight, know how bullying certain types of health professionals can be.
I also had no helpful support from my family either ("you're wearing yourself out, it's really not worth it" ).
Is there any chance at all that your b/f counsellor, who sounds marvellous, could be with you for at least some of tomorrow? You sound like you need the moral support. Or, if she can't, could you make an emergency call to see if there is someone local from either the NCT, the La Leche League or the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers? If you can say where you are, maybe even a Mumsnetter could oblige...
I am so sorry you are having such outrageous problems with people who are all supposed to be professionally pro-breast feeding.
I went on to feed ds for two years (in line with UN guidelines I might add) and I hope with all my heart that you don't let this upsetting situation put you off.

Tissy Thu 17-Jul-03 19:44:18

Bron, could you get one of the b/f counsellors to be with you when the gp/ hv turn up? It may be that they honestly don't understand that it is perfectly possible to increase your milk supply by feeding more often, and that topping up with formula will actually decrease your supply. You need baby to be feeding more, not less.

As bk says, as long as your baby is well hydrated and seeming to be satisfied with her feeds, you will be doing fine. They can't make you give formula if you don't want to. They can't force you to allow him to be weighed, if it comes to that. Stick to your guns, and give your b/f counsellor a call.

Tissy Thu 17-Jul-03 19:45:16

Obviously crossed posts with marina

Bron Thu 17-Jul-03 19:45:32

Tissy Thu 17-Jul-03 19:46:06

Sorry, meant to say *his* feeds

Bobsmum Thu 17-Jul-03 19:50:05

Bron - you've got loads of fantastic advice and support here. Keep going - from what I can see on this thread it's locum HV vs 11 mumsnetters and counting

Bobsmum Thu 17-Jul-03 19:50:34

12!!

ScummyMummy Thu 17-Jul-03 20:06:17

13. Hang in there Bron.

tiktok Thu 17-Jul-03 20:11:04

Bron. if all the HV is going on is your baby's weight, then that shows how limited her knowledge is.

It is perfectly possible for a baby to lose a pound - he should not *still* be losing weight at this stage, however. He needs to show he is bf well by producing 2 or 3 yellow poos a day (or more) and plenty of wet ones. He should be feeding eagerly and waking for feeds. If this isn't happening, then bf may need to become more effective, and your supportive midwife will know all about this, and help you.

But weight alone as a diagnosis? Pah!

mears Fri 18-Jul-03 01:23:48

Agree with tiktok here. Weight alone is not the only indicator of a baby's well being. Is this the first time he has been weighed since birth? If so, the scales will be different and may cause a discrepency. If he has had problems with positioning and attachment he will have had a bigger weight loss. He will have enough stores to cope with it. My friend's baby ( she shall remain nameless!) lost 1lb 7oz by day 10. The doctors were a bit anxious but trusted the community midwife to monitor progress with some support from me. Domperidone helped things along and a week later he had gained just under 8 oz.
Some babies take 3 weeks at least to regain their birthweight.
You cannot be 'made' to give him a bottle. If he was my baby there is no way on this earth I would be giving formula. It would do no harm though for the GP to be told by you that your son's wellbeing is paramount and that you have excellent B/F support. You are doing the right thing.
I doubt if I would want him weighed as soon as Monday TBH. If he is alert, passing urine and having dirty nappies, then I would be inclined to wait a week. The HV is an invited guest - they have no right of access. Just remember that.
Keep going as you are Bron.

Pimpernel Fri 18-Jul-03 07:31:04

Bron, so sorry to hear that you're not getting the support you deserve - you really don't need added stress from family and friends, and your locum HV sounds dreadful.

Could your family help more by looking after *you*? I'm convinced I wouldn't have eaten any breakfast for weeks if dp hadn't delivered toast to me, and as for lunch, well, even a sandwich involved more preparation than I could manage at the time - I ended up buying pasties and fruit that needed no preparation.

Take care.

Davros Fri 18-Jul-03 08:04:27

Although I am currently bottle feeding 4 month baby, I bf'd first and was amazaed at just how much other people (usually women relatives) tried to undermine me. I thought it was just me until I spoke to some friends who said they'd had the same experience. What is it about? I could only think its jealousy because they can't get their hands on the baby, they may not have bf'd themselves or.......?? Of all the people you would think would be supportive, they were the ones I found most negative. A subject for some qualitative research? No matter how commited you are its very difficult not to let these seeds plant themselves a little, even in you subconscious. Locum HV sounds awful, bossy old school not aware of spirit of co-operation now widely practised. You've done it before successfully, don't let them grind you down.

zebra Fri 18-Jul-03 09:20:05

Does anybody know the percentage loss that is considered "normal" for breastfed babies, in the first week or so? I went web-hunting but couldn't find it. I thought it was in the region of 10%-15%. 10%-15% of 9lb 6oz is 14 oz to 1 lb + 6 oz. That would make Bron's baby pretty exactly average in his weight loss so far.

Plus, I have always heard that babies "should" regain their birth weight by 2 weeks old. It's only *IF* a baby doesn't return to that birth weight that intervation might be considered. Bron's HV jumping so quick doesn't seem right.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: