Talk

Advanced search

What is the effect of giving one or two bottles of formula, then going back to solely bfing?

(9 Posts)
laughorcry Mon 15-Aug-05 16:53:58

Would be v grateful for advice: ds is 11 weeks and next week I am going to have to work for two days.

He is exclusively breastfed and I will be able to go back on maternity leave after the two days, so will go back to exclusive bfing.

I have started trying to express but am only managing about an ounce at a time, and I'm worried there won't be enough.

Will it do any harm to have a bit of formula available to dh in case he gets really hungry whilst I'm away?

Any advice for what make of formula? Is there anything wrong with the stuff that is ready made-up?

Really grateful for any advice/experience of this.

Roobie Mon 15-Aug-05 16:58:02

I would have thought that you would be OK provided you were able to manually express a bit (in the loos?) while you were at work to keep up your supply. I don't know anything about formula brands but would have thought that the ready made stuff is fine - just depends on whether your baby will take it? Has he had a bottle before (of EBM presumably)?

laughorcry Mon 15-Aug-05 17:08:52

Hi Roobie. Yes, he has just started taking EBM from a bottle. Took a while, though, and using a MAM teat.

I ought to be able to express (probably will be in the loos) and am hoping that it will be a bit easier when I'm very full IYSWIM.

My main concern is that the baby will get a taste for formula and start to reject the breast.

I have solely breastfed so far but it has been a very up and down business and I seriously considered giving up several times.

I feel it took until he was about 9 weeks to really, properly establish bfing and I'm very nervous about anything which might put it at any risk.

saadia Mon 15-Aug-05 17:08:59

We used SMA Gold powder. Not sure about this but I would guess that the ready made-up cartons might have extra preservative so we avoided that, but OTOH if it's just for two days it should be fine, plus you don't want to buy a huge lot and waste it all.

mears Mon 15-Aug-05 17:31:03

Since it is only for 2 days, I would try and continue with exclusive feeding if you can. Don't try and express a full feed all at once. Express some milk of inbetween feeds or when you feel full and it will soon mount up. I never expressed after feeds because I got nothing. Can someone bring him to you at lunchtime for a feed and then you will need to express less?

If all else fails, some formula for 2 days will not mean the end of breastfeeding.

hunkermunker Mon 15-Aug-05 21:44:29

When expressing, can you try doing it while you're feeding? There's a knack to it that involves feeding in the rugby ball position (DS's legs under your arm), lots of cushions and a bit of luck!

Good luck - and don't worry too much - two days won't have an impact. For your own comfort, you'll probably need to express a bit at work though (even if you hand express it down the loo!).

moondog Mon 15-Aug-05 21:46:59

My dd (first baby)had one or two cartons of formula as I couldn't express (could thesecond time)at about this stage.
Didn't affect subsequent b/feeding.

bobbybob Mon 15-Aug-05 22:23:03

I'd use cartons because it's only for 2 days, and you don't really need to end up with half a tin of formula (doesn't last long once opened).

Seems a silly system where you have to go back for 2 days!

henshake Mon 15-Aug-05 22:29:39

Why not continue bf whilst your not at work (morning & evening feeds) & just give the cartons whilst you are at work.

When you've finished work you can present baby back to breast & given time (could be immediately as you will only just have stopped or a couple of days) the milk will return to boob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now