Talk

Advanced search

Is this normal? Help!!

(4 Posts)
suzi2 Sun 14-Aug-05 12:04:23

Baby (8 days old) started feeding at 9pm last night... and didn't settle until 5am!! During this time he was feeding, crying (when being winded etc), refusing the breast, napping for 2 mins, crying some more, feeding...

He slept until 10am(thankyou wee guy) and hasbeen feeding pretty much since. Are my boobs not producing enough? Or is his latch bad and he's not getting enough? Is there anything else I can do?

Tessiebear Sun 14-Aug-05 12:30:47

Have you got a local b/feeding councillor who could check your positioning etc???
Chances are your milk is only just comming in "properly" - as opposed to collosterum. Do you know what colour your milk is (yellow or white)???
Prehaps he just wants the comfort of sucking???
Sorry i am not much help - my little fella is a month old and just starting to settle well at night - if that is any hope at all for you!!

hunkermunker Sun 14-Aug-05 12:32:50

Sounds very much like a growth spurt to me. You will produce enough milk (more than enough, probably!) if you keep feeding him when he wants it. He'll fuss, but he's making sure your supply stays high for when he'll be bigger next week. Clever baby - he knows what he's doing, so go with it! Make sure you do check his latch as feeding that often can make you sore if it's not right though.

Good luck - and rest when you can xxxxxx

Roxswood Mon 15-Aug-05 14:29:10

Just try and relax and feed as often as needed.. they just do this from time to time and if you allow them to then your milk supply will increase to meet their needs and they won't need to feed as often.. for a while.. then the next growth spurt hits.. If its still going on after 4 or 5 days definitely contact a bf-ing counsellor. Usually growth spurts will last two to four days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now