Talk

Advanced search

Painful breast - do I see a doctor? Quick advice please!!!

(5 Posts)
Leogaela Fri 12-Aug-05 08:06:37

Ds is almost 6 months so I am not totally new to breastfeeding.

Over the course of yesterday one of my breasts started to feel very sore. I fed lots from that side, massaged and hand expressed in case it was a blockage. Its no better today. The whole breast is painful to touch and sore all over. I have a small crack in the nipple (which has been there for a long time). The breast doesn't look any different otherwise.

Does is sound as if it may be infected? Should I see a doctor today or wait to see how it is after the weekend?

WigWamBam Fri 12-Aug-05 08:22:59

I'd see a doctor today if you can, just in case the crack in your nipple has become infected. If you have an infection it will only get worse over the weekend, so it would probably be best to see someone today.

Hope you get it sorted out.

basketcase Fri 12-Aug-05 08:26:52

As someone who has had an infection, please get it checked out today. It can be absolutely miserable and needs treatment sooner rather than later, esp as weekend coming up.
I had hot, sore boob, achy bones, mild temp that rose dramatically and felt really unwell quite quickly. Had to call out the GP in middle of night as I felt so ill I was starting to panic. Wish I had gone during the day - so did my GP

Leogaela Fri 12-Aug-05 09:00:27

Thank you! I made the appointment !

Lio Fri 12-Aug-05 09:54:31

Well done for making appointment, boob nastiness is best nipped in the bud (ouch). Hope appointment is for today? If not, please ring them back and explain, because if it turns into full-on mastitis or another baddy you will be proper poorly all weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now