Talk

Advanced search

ds 11 1/2 weeks, bf... periods back?!?

(11 Posts)
berolina Sat 06-Aug-05 22:53:11

Would this be normal? Have been exclusively bf ds since he was 4 wks, after problems getting started - he still feeds really frequently but there are no problems feeding and he's thriving (weight gain averaging 200g a week atm). Just noticed some blood on going to loo and am a bit perturbed as hadn't expected this for ages yet. Could he have not been getting enough milk? OTOH (TMI alert) the blood was the wrong colour for a period... bright red - might it be something different I need to get checked out?
Thanks for any advice - I'm puzzled!

hercules Sun 07-Aug-05 11:19:46

I dont know but does seem rather early. Does he feed a lot at night?

suzywong Sun 07-Aug-05 11:28:20

I bf exclusively both my kids and had periods back at 6 weeks each time

sometimes it just happens.

I did get it checked out first time, had the TVS and all the internals etc and yep it was just a period. So it's up to you, I didn't bother with it second time as blood was bright red ( isnt' that what colour periods are?)

HTH

mears Sun 07-Aug-05 15:57:43

Yes can be normal. I exclusively B/F and periods returned at 6 weeks fist time round. I was gutted cause friends did not get them back for months.

The other thing bleeding could have been was from haemorrhoid?

Lizita Sun 07-Aug-05 16:15:53

My period started at about 7-8 weeks too, perhaps earlier, only a few days after my pre-giving-birth bleeding had stopped . Embarrassing cos at my 8 week check up I expressed my concerns about still bleeding and the doc said "It's just your period!" I had forgotten what they were like It's funny, I worried about how it would affect my milk supply too ,i assume it doesn't...
But if you're concerned get it checked out.

Lizita Sun 07-Aug-05 16:16:55

sorry, that's post-giving-birth bleeding!

berolina Mon 08-Aug-05 16:26:10

hi all , only just got back online.
it isn't my period - there was much too little of it & it stopped the same night. (suzy, mine aren't bright red - at least not that bright!)
hercules (or anyone), i'e actually got another question related to the night feeding thing. at night the way i do it (has developed gradually) is have him next to me in bed and give him the breast whenever he wants it, usually falling asleep again while he's still feeding. the intervals are between 1 and 3 hours, usually 1.5-2.5, so pretty much the same as in the day, except in the day i usually give him both breasts at each feeding and at night he gets one, sometimes the same one 2 feedings in a row if the interval is short. could this be harming supply at all? he seems to be getting enough, but is having a phase of greenish poo. also, i never know how long he feeds at night, because i doze off again so soon. should i start getting up properly again for at least 1 of the night feeds?

berolina Mon 08-Aug-05 16:28:46

must add, in the day he is very variable - will go for 3 hours a couple of times and then every 2 or 1.5 hours.

mears Mon 08-Aug-05 16:34:15

No it will not harm your supply. Carry on as you are. You will actually find he has episodes of green poo now and again for no apparent reason. HTH.

berolina Mon 08-Aug-05 16:49:55

cheers mears (ouch, sorry for rhyme )
on the other subject, think i do have piles (am too tired to spell the h-word). am going to leave alone and see what happens.

Lizita Mon 08-Aug-05 19:19:06

Berolina, don't worry about the nights, i was exactly the same with my dd when she was little. There was no way I was awake enough to get up in the night to feed her, so, well, i did exactly the same as you. In fact I hardly used her crib thing at all really, she wouldn't sleep in it! I remember very clearly the first time I managed to put her down at night to sleep, in her own room, I was wide awake & couldn't get to sleep at all, just felt weird on my own also of course worrying too much !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now