Talk

Advanced search

Lethargy when giving up breastfeeding?

(15 Posts)
Flossam Fri 05-Aug-05 08:25:14

Have just stopped BF DS, it was becoming a bit of a battle to keep it going with me more keen than him. Following a weekend where I had to have anti histimines I have decided to stop. Since then I've been knackered! Is it hormones or am I just being a lazy bint?

morningpaper Fri 05-Aug-05 08:26:46

Only anecdotal, but I went to a breastfeeding support group for a couple of years and EVERYONE reported this kind of thing - KNACKERED after their babies started sleeping through and KNACKERED after they stopped breastfeeding. I've no idea why!

dinny Fri 05-Aug-05 08:52:29

Very interesting - ds (nearly 11 months) started sleeping a bit more a night a couple of weeks ago and I got about 5 hours uninterrupted sleep and I was SO tired. Felt like had been hit by a sledgehammer! Must be hormones, Flossam.

bobbybob Fri 05-Aug-05 09:08:59

I've only heard people say they have so much energy since stopping. Maybe whatever caused you to need antihistamines has laid you low.

Flossam Fri 05-Aug-05 12:55:21

Perhaps BB. It was just a bad bout of hayfever, when I'm in the country I just literally don't stop sneezing. Tried without them but had to succumb on Sat evening as I just can't function like that. Did have a stressful time recently too. Just thought it could be hormonal

Roxswood Fri 05-Aug-05 19:31:08

I know lots of people who've said they got very lethargic and also moody and tearful for a few days on stopping breastfeeding. Never heard anyone say they've had more energy after giving up except when they'd been having real problems feeding.

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 19:35:14

Flossam, have you tried nasal sprays for hayfever? Think (check this) that you can take them while bfeeding. But obv don't carry on bfeeding if this is a natural place for you to stop!

I'm down to one feed a day with DS now and I'm knackered, but that's due to being pg too, I think!

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 19:37:10

What about raising your spirits by going out and buying yourself a new top that would be very impractical to feed with and a bra that doesnt have to be unclipped at the cup.

Flossam Fri 05-Aug-05 20:10:40

Thanks Hercules! I've only been feeding DS once a day for a while now, so all my tops are totally impractical for BF already! Don't think that will wash with DP somehow! Also I have been wearing normal, underwired bras for a couple of months now with no problems. My BF bras were a terrrible state and I knew it would be a waste to buy new again, so just got 'normal' bras too.

HM, I hate those sprays. I used to have them when I was younger, hated them with a passion. Where I live atm, my hayfever has been non-existant all year. And I think this year is supposed to be one of the worst years for hayfever. As soon as I was in the country though it was a horribly different story!

Bless your heart feeding while pregnant, I bet you are knackered! Do you think you will actually stop before new baby arrives? Or do you want to do tandem? I suppose DS will dictate that really won't he? Felt really bad earlier, DS was trying with all his heart to latch on to me after my shower. But normally he shows no interest, and I think it is for the best to stop now. Bless his little heart though.

Flossam Fri 05-Aug-05 20:11:46

And Roxswood, sorry, there seems to be anecdotal evidence that it is the case then, glad I'm not alone! I've felt much spritlier (sp) today.

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 20:20:53

I know what you mean. I bought normal bras when dd was under a year as I was back at work and wamted to feel normal!

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:26:00

I know what you mean re the nasal sprays - too drying and uncomfy!

Just seemed easier to carry on feeding him rather than go through battles when he still wanted to feed - I'm not doing it because I'm worthy, I'm doing it because I'm lazy And he seems to be self-weaning anyway - he's not had a bedtime feed for a few days, and only wants the morning one from one side (just call me wonky boobs...! Nah - not that bad, well, nobody's commented!). Still, he's 16mo and since at the beginning 16 days (heck, 16 hours!) seemed insurmountable, I think that's not a bad job really

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:27:01

As for normal bras...wondering what the point is of buying them now I'll need nursing ones in a few months anyway! And since I'll never look pretty in a state of undress again, what the heck?!

hercules Fri 05-Aug-05 20:28:17

I didnt realise you were pregnant! Congratulations! You're destined to be an eternal cow!

hunkermunker Fri 05-Aug-05 20:39:06

LOL, Herc! Feels like it sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now