Talk

Advanced search

Selling breast milk...

(5 Posts)
snafu Thu 04-Aug-05 21:05:52

Any thoughts?

No question that milk banks provide an invaluable service - but isn't this just profiteering (or am I being overly cynical)? Will this encourage donations to milk banks - and for the right reasons? It just seems rather strange...

hunkermunker Thu 04-Aug-05 21:41:16

Thought you were a buyer, Snaf

I don't think this is a good plan - although if it raises awareness of "charitable" milk donation in this country, that's a good thing.

Hattie05 Thu 04-Aug-05 21:51:22

Does pasteurising not change it??

I disagree with buying/selling of it.

But yes a big campaign to raise awareness of the need would be good because until i had my dd i didn't know it existed, and until i knew someone whose premmie baby benefited from it i wouldn't have appreciated its importance.

I think in order to carry out the research they want to do, they could pay mothers to donate their milk, but then the concern is competition will rise, and milk banks will lose out.

hunkermunker Thu 04-Aug-05 22:19:58

I looked into donating milk, but before I could get my act together, DS was 6 months old and they won't let you start after that.

But on the forms, it said that if the milk couldn't be used for donation purposes for whatever reason, was it OK if they did experiments on it to find out more about it.

ellceeell Thu 04-Aug-05 23:09:03

There aren't many milk banks in the UK - see this site for details here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: