Talk

Advanced search

reduced milk feeds.....teething or weaning?

(9 Posts)
Tipex Thu 04-Aug-05 18:12:57

I started weaning 6m old Ds 1 week ago and have quite quickly gone up to 3 meals per day due to his age (altho hes not having huge amounts at each meal). prior to weaning he was having what felt like huge breast feeds altho hes quite efficient so it was taking 10mins each side and he would as a rule have both. however for the last 3 days hes reduced his breastfeeds loads, still wants it at the same times but has only 5 mins one side.
is this due to the food and if so is it bad for him to be having this much less milk? His poos have gone really solid in the last 2d having been copious watery breast fed poos before (sorry if TMI). Should I cut back on the food?

Distel Thu 04-Aug-05 18:37:48

Bumping this for you as I don't really know, maybe you could try cutting back to 2 meals a day.

Tipex Thu 04-Aug-05 20:08:12

thanks distel, bump

Magscat Thu 04-Aug-05 20:13:33

Hi Tipex. He needs about 1 pint a day - 18 or 20oz I think - till he's a year old.
It's hard when you're bf to know how much they're getting though isn't it? I have similar problem with dd (7m) who now only has a few minutes before I go to work and 2 x 3 or 4oz in the day then 20 mins at bedtime - but still feeds at least twice more over night.

How often is your ds having his 5 minute snacks?
Have you tried b/f before his meals so he takes some milk as well at each meal?

Tipex Thu 04-Aug-05 20:17:49

Magscat, he has one (big) night feed, then feeds at about 7:30am, 11am, 3pm then bedtime 630pm which is again still a big 30min feed. I am giving solids at 8am, 12midday and 5pm. I offer him a sippy cup of boob milk with his meals as I am trying to get him to use this for when i go back to work (altho should probably try a bottle again if hes realistically going to get enough). I was always feeding on demand but hes slipped into this routine and never cries for food in between. I must admit i dont offer spntaneouslt in between as he used to be a terrible snacker and I was glad when he settled to having decent feeds spaced apart (about 4w ago).

Is it normal that the poo goes alot firmer when started on solids?

Magscat Thu 04-Aug-05 20:25:35

He's probably getting enough if he's having to half hour feeds plus all the little ones - I'm no expert though so hopefully a few others will comment.

Re. Poo - dd's poos went quite quickly from being seriously liquid to being formed. They are still soft but if she ever does one while her nappy is off it retains it's shape - I mean it looks like a poo rather than a splat or an explosion! (Sorry if TMI but you did ask!!)

Magscat Thu 04-Aug-05 20:26:01

I mean TWO half hour feeds

busywizzy Sun 07-Aug-05 13:43:37

Tipex, I'm not sure if you're still watching this thread but my DS also started refusing milk feeds when I started weaning (he's bottle fed not BF so not sure if that makes a difference). He's now been on solids for 10 days, we're taking it really slowly as per Gina Ford's advice (following this to the letter apart from doing the teatime feed at 5.30pm rather than after his 6.30pm bottle) and today for the first time he is feeding milk again. H e drained his bottle at 7.00am and this is the first time he's done that ever I think. He's also had two nights where he's slept through for the first time, once until 6.00am and last night/this morning until 6.35am.

Hope it's going better for you.

mears Sun 07-Aug-05 13:53:12

Tipex - solid poos are a normal response to starting solid food. Personally since you have not long started weaning I would give him the breast along with meals rather than a sippy cup to make sure he gets enough milk. I would give him the cup between meals to get him used to it. When do you go back to work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now