Talk

Advanced search

15wk bottlefeed baby 18lbs I`M WORRIED---HELP???

(23 Posts)
diva4mgl Sun 31-Jul-05 21:34:12

Hi ladies
My baby girl is 15 weeks and she is 18lbs. She was born 8.11lbs at 32 weeks. We bottlefeed her since she was 3 days old,and ever since she put weight on and on. She is almost 100th centile at the moment.
We have SMA gold, i feed her every 4 hours 5 times a day, she sleeps night through ( she wakes up at about 3-4, but we give her dummy)
She normally has 7oz bottle at times, but this week she was crying after her bottle so i started give her 8oz.
HV insists she is just BIG baby, and she is perfectly healthy.
Should I not to worry? DH and PILs telling me to start weaning, I don`t know what to do at the moment. Is there any diet formula? Is SMA Gold is too good my baby is putting weight on?
Please help me??

Uma,

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 21:38:31

Dont wean.Listen to health visitor!
She sounds fine to me! She will slow down at some point. Feed her if she is hungry!!! Dont worry. Babies dont (as rule) overfeed!!!

biglips Sun 31-Jul-05 21:39:35

why dont you try White SMA as they got more fat contents as its sits on the stomach better than hte Gold SMA. (as she is old enough too) as thats what i did with mine wqhen she was 8 weeks old and she is more happier and slept thru too) my baba at 15 weeks was 17lbs so she is a big baba too - (i started to wean mine when seh was about 15 weeks old too as she was permantly hungry)

biglips Sun 31-Jul-05 21:40:11

BUT you start weaning her when you feels its right for you

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 21:45:53

try not to wean before 6 months.
It is so much easier then and it is what is recommended

Alipiggie Sun 31-Jul-05 21:46:48

Hi there. Don't worry. My ds2 born at 7lb 1oz went up to 17lb plus by 16 wks. I weaned him on to baby rice and mashed reduced sugar rusks at 16wks. He stopped drinking 8floz six times a day and swapped one quite happily for water. My hv recommended to start him on pureed veggies first - parsnips are great steamed and mashed - sweet filling and very healthy. She will slow down they all do, even if u think they're going to go pop

Alipiggie Sun 31-Jul-05 21:48:48

Just read the last posting - amazing here in Scotland the recommendation is weaning at 4 months. Do what makes u and baby happy. Happy mummy equates to happy baby and vice versa

biglips Sun 31-Jul-05 21:49:04

the reason mine was permantly hungry cos i was going thru (on white sma) 9 bottles of 7 oz per day!

biglips Sun 31-Jul-05 21:49:27

i agree with ALi

Alipiggie Sun 31-Jul-05 21:52:04

Hi biglips thought my two ds's could eat they still get through roughly 1 pint a day each if not more

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 21:55:30

it used to be 4 months but now is 6.
my first oneswere weaned at 4 but others at 6..much easier!! would hold out if u can

biglips Sun 31-Jul-05 21:57:01

ali -

Alipiggie Sun 31-Jul-05 21:57:56

When was the change ds2 is only 2 so must have been recent!! Heard that it was coming world health recommendation. My old HV's near Glasgow were not in favour.

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 22:20:24

well my ds3 was 2 at Christmas and I didnt wean him till 6 months. All I can say in my experience it is easier later on!

WestCountryLass Sun 31-Jul-05 22:25:45

Ignore what everyone is saying, big is beautiful! My DD was 8lb 12oz full term and on the 95th centile, I hav eno idea what she weighs now at one but she is a great big bundle of love and at one point went over the 100th centile - HV said not to worry, baby was breastfed on demand and HAPPY!

So your DD is bonny, and? She does not need anything 'diet', she will naturally thin out when she starts moving around more.

Really, try not to worry and only wean when she shows you signs, she needs to be:

Being unsatisfied after a full milk feed
Demanding increasing and more frequent milk feeds
He or she can control their head movements
Attempting to put things in his or her mouth
His or her weight gain slows or levels out without a period of illness to explain why.
After a period of sleeping through the night your baby begins waking in the night with hunger

I actually tried to introduce solids a bit early for my DD and she point blank refused, she was 8 months before she was ready and now there's no stopping her!

Be strong with the rellies and good luck!

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 22:26:29

weaning
just found this..might be of interest.

mandyc66 Sun 31-Jul-05 22:27:46

At least if your baby is big, if she is ill you have no worries if she drops a bit of weight!!!!

diva4mgl Mon 01-Aug-05 23:11:00

Thank you all
We have new HV today, and she weighed and measured her height. She is just a big baby both way, and she recommended weaning. We will be talking about weaning next week visit and we may start little bit a daytime.
Thanks again to everybody

Mojomummy Mon 01-Aug-05 23:22:08

I'm not sure weaning is appropriate yet - babies of that age really aren't properly developed at that age to digest food. Yo don't want to be causeing her unnecessary digestive problems.

Perhaps she is thirsty ? do you offer cooled boiled water ? if not perhaps you could offer her an ounce or 2 just before her milk to see if that quenches her thirst ? Or even add an extra ounce of water to her milk ? She's still be getting the required scoop of formula, just a little extra water. If you have her weighed weekly, you can ensure she maintains a healthy weight gain.

tiktok Mon 01-Aug-05 23:22:42

Biglips - the fat content in SMA white is the same as gold. It doesn't 'sit on the stomach better'...not sure what that means! Difference is the protein in white takes longer to digest as it is not modified, and this is why babies on white may go longer between feeds.

Diva, your baby is too young for solids. She is doing well on milk alone. Why would you give her anything else before she needs it?

Ali - recommendation in Scotland is 6 mths for solids, and has been for a while. This is not a new thing.

diva4mgl Wed 03-Aug-05 11:50:05

hi again
i do weigh my dd everyweek, and she is putting 8oz average a week.
i always try to give her water, but she hates it.everytime i give her some water, she cries like mad. sometimes i force, but she spit it all. dh goes mad, he thinks dd does not need water. to be honest we don`t have problem down bottom, seems she digests well.
this week she is 18.7lbs, she passed the last line on red book.
do not get me wrong i still feed her, im hot starving her.or overfeeding her. she is sleeping in my arms left 2oz of her 8oz bottle of milk.
i haven`t tried weaning yet, but must say she seems far forward then her age. she holds her head and she holds dummy and finds her mounth.in lot way she seems different. girls of play group all said she is doing really well. im 1st time mum, im no expert. i only know whats on the books and what hv and other pro say.
i suppose all the babies different. seems i have to admit my baby is just big baby.
thanks to all

aloha Wed 03-Aug-05 11:56:52

If it's not broke don't fix it! She's doing splendidly on milk alone so why on earth add the hassle and mess of solids this early? She isn't particularly hungry, she's gaining weight,k she sleeps all night and is happy. There is no reason to add solids is there?
Can't think whey the HV is recommending it (except that this is the sort of daft thing they do!).
My dd is on the 96th centile for height and 75th for weight, is 6months old on the 8th of Feb and happy on breastmilk. In fact, she has just started sleeping right through from 8pm to 7ish most nights for the first time without solids.

aloha Wed 03-Aug-05 11:57:38

And no point giving water either IMO, esp if she spits it out and cries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now