Talk

Advanced search

how much milk does your 6 month have per day really?

(12 Posts)
juicychops Sun 31-Jul-05 08:52:20

I know a 6 month old is supposed to have about 1 pint per day of milk so thats about 18oz. But my ds only has about 11oz per day. i was told this can be made up of yogurts and cheese and dairy products so he probably has a bit more than 11 including yogurts and butter in his sandwich and the milk in his powdered cereals and he also has cows milk with weetabix but i still dont think he is getting a full pint. Is this a big problem?
How much milk does your babies have?

starlover Mon 01-Aug-05 16:58:22

does he not have any bottles/breast at all?

ds is almost 6 months and he has 5 7oz bottles a day... plus food.

aloha Mon 01-Aug-05 16:59:19

don't know as mine is breastfed!

Hazellnut Tue 02-Aug-05 20:26:02

wow SL !!

DD is 6 months and has 20 ounces of formula at a push... and then yoghurt and sometimes other dairy products in food. She loves solids but I don't think would miss milk if taken away. I checked with hv and she said 500 mls was ideal amount(about 18 ounces I think).

jessicaandbumpsmummy Tue 02-Aug-05 20:28:08

Jess is just 1 year and still has 4 7oz bottles a day, but she did reduce quite a bit at weaning stage. I always tried to get 2 bottles in even if it meant dream feeding

Magscat Tue 02-Aug-05 20:32:04

Juicychops - I've been worrying ab out this too. DD is 7 months and I'm at work full time so she has b/f before work, 2 bottles in the day (plus 2 or 3 meals) then b/f at bedtime and usually b/f again 2 or 3 times in the night.

BUT she only b/fs now for maybe 10 mins at a time. I think including the night feeds she probably gets her 18oz but I don't really know.

What worries me is she was having 2 x 6oz bottles but this week she's only wanted half of each.

Don't know whether to cut down the solids to get her milk intake up or try refusing to feed at night & see if she's hungrier in the day.

Any ideas?

kama Tue 02-Aug-05 20:55:28

Message withdrawn

Pollyanna Tue 02-Aug-05 21:10:02

I thought that milk was meant to be the main source of a baby's nutrition for a year? I think if I were concerned I would cut down the amount of solids to ensure that the baby took more milk?

(sorry not much help - my dd aged 6 months definitely has more milk than solids, but she is bf too, so I don't know how much).

juicychops Wed 03-Aug-05 17:18:11

i meant he has 11oz made up of 2 bottles and then the rest is yoghurts and cheese and cereals.

Kama, yeah, he has sandwiches fine. i cut them up reasonably small and he eats them as a finger food. But he chews them all properly and eats it all except the crusts!

kama Wed 03-Aug-05 17:23:31

Message withdrawn

juicychops Wed 03-Aug-05 17:56:08

Melon is good too if you cut it into sticks but can be a bit slippery

Magscat Wed 03-Aug-05 20:35:32

Hi Kama - my dd (she's only a day older than your's remember?)is nowhere near being able to do finger foods either. She can do really small lumps but that's about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: