Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and TEETH

(22 Posts)
mummyjojo2D Sat 30-Jul-05 16:34:58

My dd is 10 months and is breastfed which I have not had too many problems with but now her top teeth are coming through quite fast, 3 in 3 weeks. The problem is that bf is now very painful, dd is not really biting, I think her teeth are just kind of getting in the way and she is not used to them being there. Is this "normal"? will it get easier? I dont want to stop bf. She is also demanding to be fed more at the mo.
Has anyone else had similar problems.

mummyjojo2D Sat 30-Jul-05 19:49:58

I think it is more than just the teeth. The pain is now quite extreme but only left nipple. There seems to be a small lump at the side of nipple, could it be a blocked duck? it is more painful that getting started and it dosnt pass like it does when first trying to latch on.
Help I really dont know what to do

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 20:07:08

I've never had a blocked duct so I don't know about that. You're supposed to massage them.

Could it be where the new tooth is rubbing on the nipple when she feeds? If so you could latch her underarm, supported by a load of pillows, cos she's probably a bit heavy. Or else do it lying down just to get her teeth on a different bit of the nipple.

Assuming you've had no problems up to now, another possibility is thrush on the nipple. That really hurts and needs to be dealt with.

The Breastfeeding Network are very very good and will be able to put you in touch with a bf counsellor to talk to over the phone.

mummyjojo2D Sat 30-Jul-05 21:36:09

Thanks for your reply spidermama. I searched for other threads on Thrush and found 1 you where on telling about your Thrush. The pain is more in one breast than other and as i said there is a small spot like lump with what appears to be 2 small white heads. I have pain all the time not just during a feed but feeding is agony. I'm not sure if dd has any symptoms but she is a bit grouchy and has been for 2-3 days and wont feed "normally" she is only feeding for a few mins then stops gets down then comes back for more. I know its not positioning as dd sleeps with me in bed and feeds laying down in the morning, i first noticed the pain yesterday morn when i first thought it was her teeth but its getting worse. I hope you dont mind me pressing for more info on this but you seem to know what you are talking about. I have looked at BFN but need some reasurance. Should I stop feeding 'till i see a doctor? will I be making it worse, passing it back and forth? I really dont want to stop bf, It has been really successful so far and will be very miffed if I have to give up now. Thanks for your time.

frannyf Sat 30-Jul-05 21:55:11

Hi mummyjojo, I think you have what is called a milk blister. There is a link here with advice
(even with photos so you can check if this is what you have).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

(sorry haven't mastered doing links but you can cut and paste!)

I have never had this particular problem, but I know how painful and depressing breast problems can be while feeding. It sounds like your daughter's new teeth pressing on your nipple have maybe caused the blister. A change in positioning could probably help avoid it happening again.

Also, problems like this often arise when you are doing too much, so maybe it is a sign to slow down (if at all possible). Hopefully you will be able to clear this up and enjoy breastfeeding for as long as you both want to. Carrying on feeding definitely helps clear infection and avoids you getting worse problems e.g. mastitis. Hope this helps and that you feel better soon.

frannyf Sat 30-Jul-05 21:59:22

Here's the page for the photo in case it was not obvious on the other web page:

Milk blister photo

Hey, I did a link. Yay!

mummyjojo2D Sat 30-Jul-05 22:16:11

Thanks frannyf that really helped, could be a blister caused by thrush. I really hope it does not mean i have to stop bf.
well done with the link

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 22:40:20

Good advice franny.

If it's thrush then you need to treat you and the baby. It's really best to keep feeding if you can bear it.

You could express from that side to give the nipple a rest from the sucking (I found that marginally less sore than actual feeding when I had thrush).

I also used a nipple guard (from Avent. Avail in Boots) That really helped but I was advised not to use it for long as it affects the supply. I guess the ducts don't get stimulated as well.

A change of positiion can really help.

How about phoning a bf counsellor from the bf network or \link{www.laleche.org.uk/la leche league} They're brilliant and really know their stuff.

Also, I took pain killers to get through the problem (and I NEVER take pain killers normally. Not even for headaches or birth!) But I couldn't have kept feeding without them.

All the best. I really hope it improves for you because you're doing so well with the feeding and it's such a lovely thing. x

ghollam Mon 01-Aug-05 15:55:19

mummy - do you have SHOOTING pains in your breasts AFTER a feed ? If so, that is a sure sign of thrush. I agree the lump is probably a blister. Sorry, I am not a doctor, but know quite alot about thrush as my DS and I had it when he was about 5 months old and I have read almost everything available on the web about it !!

The answer to should you stop BF is "no". As you know the best possible cure for any illness is BF. Don't give up at 10 months !! I know it is painful, but with proper medication and a different latch you will get over it.

If your GP or BF Counsellor confirms that it is thrush, I found the best remedy to be Daktarin Oral Gel for the baby and Canestan cream for your nipples. You can get Daktarin in a tube at any chemist, no need for a prescription. I think you need a prescription for Canestan.

Do not bother with "Nystan" which is what is commonly prescribed by GP's. It is full of sugar and only perpetuates the problem as thrush thrives on sugar !!

You MUST treat both of you simultaneously as otherwise you will just pass it back and forth. I would also suggest a light distilled vinager solution after each feed (1 tablespoon vinager to 9 tablespoons water), but that may be too painful for you with the blisters. Thrush dies in an acidic environment.

I did all of the above for 6 weeks and it worked ! You have to keep going for at least a couple of weeks after symptoms get better.

One day he did not feed at all for an entire 24 hours which is when I started to panic. I think the thrush caused a sore mouth/throat, although he never had any visible sign of thrush (i.e no white patches, etc.). It may be that your baby is having the same problem, plus the teething will cause sore gums. Babies often BF more when they are teething. Mine does !!

Good luck !

mummyjojo2D Mon 01-Aug-05 16:44:33

I have been to the doctors today, he says it is the begining of mastitis and has given me antibiotics. I must admit though, from what you all say Thrush does seem to fit more, I dont have the redness or hot breasts assosiated with mastitis. DD doesn't show any of the signs though. I'll give the antibiotics a go and see haw that goes. Thanks for all advice.
Still hurts like hell

mummyjojo2D Mon 01-Aug-05 19:00:51

Just spoke to BFN she agrees with your advice that it is probably Thrush and maybe not a good idea to take antibiotics ans it could make it worse. I usually get V thrush when Im on antibiotics.
Looks like another trip to docs.

ghollam Mon 01-Aug-05 19:44:58

Mummy - sensible to get it checked again - get a second opinion. If you have had any form of thrush before likely you will get it again.

My GP would not have diagnosed thrush (no visible sign in baby's mouth) because she doesn't know much about BF. I had to "direct" her towards giving me a thrush diagnosis ! That is beacuse I don't really trust my GP and had done masses of reading on net about possible BF problems before I went to see her.

Totally agree with your BF adviser. Antibiotics will aggravate the problem if you have thrush.

ghollam Mon 01-Aug-05 19:53:34

ps- If your DD shows no signs of thrush, that is quite normal. My DS had no visible signs at all apart from not wanting to breastfeed.

It was the shooting pains in my breasts a few minutes after a feed (very deep pain - runs all the way from nipple to deep inside the chest) that made me positive it was thrush.

ps - try kellymom.com. Excellent info. not only on thrush but symptoms/remedies of all BF related problems. It might give you more clues ! It is such a fantastic resource - it always helped me "diagnose" all my BF problems and motivated me not to give up. My DS is now nearly 14 months and still BF

spidermama Mon 01-Aug-05 23:04:14

Great posts Ghollam. I had thrush too. The doctors aren't all up to speed with it. They're not all aware that you can get it inside the mild ducts. It's very hard to diagnose as the baby might not show symptoms.

I took a print out from the BF Network (see link in my first post) and my doc was very grateful and admitted that the info was more up to date than his.

Best of luck to you mummyjojo.

ghollam Tue 02-Aug-05 15:41:02

spidermama - that was brilliant giving info to your GP !

I think mine needs a few sessions to get up to speed with BF and related issues. Lovely woman, knows alot about other medical problems, but not much about BF. I spoke to a HV who runs a "baby cafe" here in London and she said that GP's don't have time to read up on BF and although there are classes run in NHS trusts for health profs. to attend BF sessions, these are voluntary and they can't be forced to attend !

Thank goodness for BF advisers !!

mummyjojo2D Tue 02-Aug-05 23:17:58

I am going to see the HV tomorrow hopefully she can help and maybee advise me on which of the doctors if any mightbe more up to speed on BF issues. I havent dared start taking the antibiotics, i just know they will make it worse.
Ghollam, I dont have shooting pains after, perhaps its not THAT bad yet. I will take the info from BF network and see haw that goes.

eidsvold Wed 03-Aug-05 13:00:45

the daktarin oral gel will work not only for your little one but that is what I used on my nipples when I had thrush. I did not have the pain after feeding but I had toe curling pain while dd2 was latching and feeding. It hurt if I brushed against them too.

eidsvold Wed 03-Aug-05 13:01:26

get some of the oral gel over the counter. I just put it on after every feed. You will feel the difference after one or two feeds...

mummyjojo2D Wed 03-Aug-05 17:32:43

I saw HV today, she agrees is is more likely to be thrush. I got the Daktarin gel from chemist so lets see how it goes.

Thank you all so much for your advice it has really helped. I only discovered Mumsnet last week, I cant belive how helpful everyone is and thet i didn't know about it for the last 10 months!
I will let you know how it goes, Thanks again

Distel Wed 03-Aug-05 18:00:13

sorry your probebly not gonna want to hear this but I stopped breast feeding at 10 months due to biting. Nothing I did made any difference, I'm sure other people have had more sucess than me.

Distel Wed 03-Aug-05 18:02:27

My post is obviously no help with Thrush, sorry diddn'y read other posts first.

mummyjojo2D Sun 07-Aug-05 15:32:59

milk blister I hope this works, First time I've done one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now