Talk

Advanced search

Does alcohol transfer to baby ?

(11 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Thu 28-Jul-05 21:46:53

Continuing from the other white wine thread....

I don't mind the odd drink myself while I'm feeding and it doesn't interfere with my supply or let-down, but this weekend I'm going to a big party. DS has started to want feeds at 2ish and 5ish - if I do have a 'skinful' will it transfer from my milk into my ds ?

Anyone know ?

Feffi Thu 28-Jul-05 21:49:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

colditz Thu 28-Jul-05 21:49:31

Yes it will, but I believe you could 'pump and dump?'

I've never breast fed in my life though, so hopefully this bump will mean someone more useful comes along for you...

CarolinaMoon Thu 28-Jul-05 21:53:36

you don't need to dump - alcohol gets removed from the milk when the levels of alcohol in your blood drop as your liver processes it out.

Think only small amounts get in the milk anyway.

Might make him sleep through?

<<just kidding>>

WigWamBam Thu 28-Jul-05 21:54:37

It takes several hours for each unit of alcohol to pass through the system though ... someone posted some information the other day, I'll see if I can find it.

WigWamBam Thu 28-Jul-05 21:55:47

Aloha's post here

nannyjo Thu 28-Jul-05 21:56:49

i'm not sure alcohol gets in direct but it diminishes the quality of your milk (i think) and can (not always)upset babys tummy.

I drank one lager when feeding and DS was really unsettled that night but that could be coincidence?

Ruthiebaby Thu 28-Jul-05 22:00:21

Thanks wigwambam

nannyjo - my son doesn't seem to mind. He's ok when I've had the odd glass of wine and when I've had the odd beer. Strawberries upset him more than alcohol !

Hmm...I think I'll just have a few early in the evening and then stop.

tiktok Fri 29-Jul-05 00:11:12

Yes, there's a ton about this in the archives, some of it posted by me.

Nannyjo, you are right, alcohol doesn't get into the milk direct....how on earth could that happen?! By drops of it spilling onto the nipple and being sucked in???

It gets in through the blood. In my view, the amount that gets in is not worth worrying about, even if you drink quite a lot. But others might disagree.

I am not sure what you mean by diminishing the quality of the milk - it doesn't reduce any of the nutritional or immune-boosting properties of milk.

Pumping and dumping does not hasten the process of alcohol disappearing.

Have a good time, ruthie

Ruthiebaby Fri 29-Jul-05 18:40:24

thanks tiktok.

I plan on having a few - but...who knows.. that may change on the night

I'm not so worried now.

I knew it got in through your bloodstream, just wasn't sure how much of it got through and whether it had a direct effect on my babies liver. Don't want my ds suffering because of my foolishness. But all said and done, it looks like the amount that crosses to the milk is slight, so I'll stop worrying and have a good time. If I was drinking large amounts regularly then I'd think twice.....but one party can't hurt !

ROCK ON !!

bonym Fri 29-Jul-05 18:45:15

I read recently that it can diminish the supply - the optimum time for this is about 1hr after drinking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: