Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Resuming night feeds at 4 months - why?

(18 Posts)
bonym Thu 28-Jul-05 08:43:43

DD2 is 18 weeks, and, until about 3 weeks ago was sleeping through the night, from about 7.30pm to about 6.30am.

We went away on holiday for a week, and, because it was hot, and she was out of her routine, she was waking most nights and I was happy to feed her as thought she may be thirsty due to the heat. I thought she would settle back to going through the night once we were home, but this hasn't happened.

She now wakes between 2-3am and again about 5am, then goes to about 6.30-7.30am. Have tried to settle her with a dummy but she seems to be hungry as if I offer her the breast she then takes a good feed.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I have tried to get her to take more feeds during the day but this doesn't seem to be making any difference. I had her weighed last week and she is sticking to her percentile line so seems to be getting enough. Don't really want to start solids yet as think she is too young still .
Would be grateful for any suggestions,

throckenholt Thu 28-Jul-05 08:52:59

could be a growth spurt, could be habit after the holiday, also unsettled nights seem to be typical of that age - and solids don't seem to make much difference for most kids.

I would feed her in the night but gradually limit the length of the feed until you phase it out - so maybe limit to 20 mins the first night, and reduce by 2 mins each night. Also maybe you could try giving her a sip of water - no great reward for waking up but fluid if she is thirsty.

Whatever, try and keep the night time sessions low key, lights low, voices low, speaking and eye contact to a minimum - so that she gets the message that is isn't really worth waking up for.

Given that she was sleeping well before it is likely that she will get back into that habit with a bit of encouragement.

bobbybob Thu 28-Jul-05 08:53:56

Growth spurt and general 4 month weirdness. it will pass.

Pollyanna Thu 28-Jul-05 09:01:53

my dd3 did this too after sleeping for 12 hour stretches from a really early age. I didn't know whether it was hunger or habit, but I fed her anyway. Then when I started solids she started sleeping through again(at this time I also started reducing the length of the feeds as Throckenholt suggested - I only had to do this for 2 nights until she slept more). I did wait until 6 months though to introduce food, so we had a few weeks of waking! Also at 6 months I got really strict about keeping to a routine for naps and bedtime.

I agree, try reducing the feeds (I did it by a minute a night, as dd3 only fed for 15 minutes), but for me I'm not sure whether it was food, keeping to a routine or reducing the length of the feeds which did the trick.

mears Thu 28-Jul-05 09:22:01

It is probably a growth spurt and will pass. I personally would try not to get uptight over it and just feed her. Your supply will be boosted and she will settle again. All 4 of my babies did this. I would get her on the breast and back to sleep ASAP if I were you. Too much valuable sleep time can be wasted with attempts at trying to avoid feeding IMO. Try and get 40 winks during the day and go to bed earlier since you know you will be up feeding over the next few nights. Bank up on sleep when you can rather than trying to get her to sleep mote just now. No need to start solids.

Leogaela Thu 28-Jul-05 09:40:23

Bonym, the same thing happened with ds a few weeks ago when he was about 4 1/2 months. I found it too much and gave him a top up in the evening before bed (not suggesting you do that), he is back to normal now and the last few nights I've dropped the evening bottle.

bonym Thu 28-Jul-05 11:00:11

Thanks for the reassurance. I am doing everything suggested already (no talking, no lights, quick feeds) so good to know that I am on the right track - will just wait it out then I guess and hope things improve .

Ruthiebaby Thu 28-Jul-05 21:43:16

Sounds just like my ds who is nearly 6mths. He used to sleep through but wakes very similar to your dd.

Though, last night he slept through till 5 so I'm hoping he'll do the same again.

Don't you wish men could breastfeed !

Feffi Thu 28-Jul-05 21:56:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ruthiebaby Thu 28-Jul-05 22:01:15

It's nice to cling to the fact that it's just a phase...he'll grow out of it...
*crosses fingers and toes and legs*

bonym Fri 29-Jul-05 18:33:30

Well, she slept until 4am this morning and then went back again, after a feed, until 6.30am - so getting a bit better!

Ruthiebaby Fri 29-Jul-05 18:36:15

My ds woke at flippin 2am, then again at 5.

Don't mind the 5 so much, it's the 2am one I hate.

At least they're going back to sleep after the feed

Feffi Sat 30-Jul-05 10:35:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 10:38:31

Mine spelt through at 3 months then started wakign after 3 weeks too. he then woke up once or twice for night feeds until he was 6 months. It seemed worse than before as you had a glimpse of what a whole nights sleep could be!

jane313 Sat 30-Jul-05 10:39:05

slept rather then spelt! Hes not a child genius

Tipex Sat 30-Jul-05 18:05:51

this must be really common as my DS did it too....was going pretty much thru until about 3m then started feeding 3 hourly again. hes now 5.5 and just started to go a bit longer again on some nights. Funny old things arent they? like to keep you on your toes?!!

bonym Mon 01-Aug-05 10:42:58

Hmm - got worse again last couple of nights - 1am, 5am, 6.30am. Trouble is, fell asleep at the 5am one so not sure how long she fed for and therefore, if really hungry. Woke up at 6.30 and she was helping herself . Funny though - if it was anyone else waking me up during the night I wouldn't be half so good natured about it - when it's her I don't really mind .

KiwiKate Mon 01-Aug-05 11:31:03

If it is a growth spurt, trying to cut down the length of the feeds might not help, as she might want to feed more often. Personally, I'd go with Mears' suggestion below (and perhaps have only one disturbance in the night?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now