Talk

Advanced search

weaning from breast at 1, but does he need milk henceforth?

(8 Posts)
hermykne Tue 26-Jul-05 20:39:49

ds is down to the one boob only, in the morn and even, for about 90seconds!, he is 1 on saturday and i'm done, but he doesnt drink any other milk, maybe some on his porridge/cereal but declins it from a bottle
drinks plenty of water
would hebe losing out if he doesnt get milk , until he maybe gets curious and drinks it from a cup or copies his big sis?

hunkermunker Tue 26-Jul-05 20:41:35

Does he eat much dairy? DS has one or maybe two breastfeeds a day, but is a porridge, cheese and yoghurt monster, so I don't worry too much about him drinking milk.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 26-Jul-05 20:46:36

It's possible to manage without milk. You may find he gets more interested in cow's milk now, anyway - DS1 never used to drink cow's milk while he was breastfed, but when I stopped, when he was 18 months, soon after he started drinking cow's milk. He became quite hooked, would head up towards 2 pints/day, with a corresponding reduction in solids, if I didn't watch out.

serenity Tue 26-Jul-05 20:47:14

DSs both pretty much gave up drinking milk at 1, DS2 still won't touch it, even on cereal! So long as they have plenty of dairy products instead, such as cheese and yogurts. Maybe try him on fruit smoothies as well.

hermykne Tue 26-Jul-05 20:52:28

he has a small amt of dairy, maybe an oz of cheese (not everyday) and one yogurt a day.
he sometimes gets hives after dairy intake cow products, but not goats milk.
he gets broccoli regularly - its good for calcium.
we were on hols and both kids lost wieght, (very hot no appetite) and i am amazed at how they have both put it back on so quickly (me too - another story) but i would put it down to his good intake of solid food, loves it!
so it should be ok.
thanks all

sweetkitty Tue 26-Jul-05 20:57:18

DD weaned off boob 3 weeks ago, I started offering a beaker of milk at night instead of boob she took maybe half of it

then in the morning she never woke at 6 and asked for it so I never offered think she has forgotten now as she seen my boobs for the first time since then and she tried to pull my nipple off.

She has beaker in the morning and at night now and it varies how much she takes sometimes all sometimes 2 sips, she has milk with cereal in the morning and yogurts with each meal and cheese most days so I think she is OK.

vicdubya Tue 26-Jul-05 21:05:17

My HV gave me a useful leaflet with values for different foods according to their calcium content.

E.g. a child between the ages of 1-8 should have 600mg calcium a day.

Typical amounts stated are:

1/3 pint (190ml) whole milk provides 225mg calcium

1oz (28g) cheddar cheese provides 210mg

5oz (150g) yoghurt provides 270mg

4oz (112g) baked beans provides 50mg

3 large slices of bread provide 100mg

2oz (56g) sardines provides 310mg

DS is 16 months, he has 1 BF before bed, drinks no other milk, but does have cheese most days in some form or other, cereal with milk every day, yoghurt most days.

When he stops his BF before bed (no immediate plans) I am going to offer him a cup of warm milk but if he doesn't want it I am not going to worry.

HTH

hermykne Tue 26-Jul-05 21:10:52

vicdubya
thanks very much, thats great, now how iwll i incorporate sardines to his diet

sweetkitty
did your dd just stop the morn feed one day and did u just not go back to it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now