loader

Talk

Advanced search

mixing formula and breast milk?????

(14 Posts)
MaloryTowers Mon 25-Jul-05 21:17:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Mon 25-Jul-05 21:21:27

hmm i didn't think you were supposed to mix formula and breastmilk?
has she tried expressing from one side whilst feeding on another?

MaloryTowers Mon 25-Jul-05 21:23:21

starlover Mon 25-Jul-05 21:28:06

hmm i am sure i remember a few people on here saying it isn't a good idea. it would be a better idea to give the ebm and then give formula seperately.
how often/when does she express?

MaloryTowers Mon 25-Jul-05 21:31:28

starlover Mon 25-Jul-05 21:35:16

it will take a little while for her to boost her supply.
as i said before, expressing on one side whilst feeding on the other is good.
Although i have expressed a lot i have only done it briefly whilst breastfeeding if that makes sense.
to build suply up she needs to be expressing regularly so that her body gets used to the idea that it needs to make more milk.
so no slacking at weekends! lol...

how many bottles does the baby need a day?

tiktok Mon 25-Jul-05 21:41:50

No, MT, she should not mix ebm and formula in the same bottle. If the baby only drinks some of it, then the ebm is wasted.

Giving formula is not the only solution to the bottle prob. More stim by more bf or more expressng would ensure she had enough ebm, if that's what she prefers.

serenity Mon 25-Jul-05 21:42:09

I don't know what the offical line is on mixed feeding, but both DS1 and DS2 were perfectly fine with it. I could never get the hang of expressing, so if they had a bottle it was formula.

I went back to work part time with DS1 so when he was at the CMs she gave him a bottle, and when he was home with me I BF him (or if I was really tired DH would bottle feed him). Even though I wasn't working days with DS2 I still gave him a bottle every two days or so, just so he could iyswim.

Never mangaed it with DD though, she was too stubborn to drink anything from a bottle whether it was formula or ebm!

MaloryTowers Mon 25-Jul-05 21:53:02

starlover Mon 25-Jul-05 21:53:52

for one bottle then 4oz should be plenty.

hub2dee Fri 05-Aug-05 23:45:12

dw gets loads more EBM in the AM, ITH.

JulieF Sat 06-Aug-05 00:25:08

I mixed ebm and formula, but then again, none was ever wasted. Ds was also older too.

tiffini Sat 06-Aug-05 00:29:31

When my DTs were born, they were in NICU for 4 weeks, and I often had trouble expressing enough milk for them, the midwives would give them formula as a top up, so I assume it is OK.

loupylou Sat 06-Aug-05 19:56:26

if it works for her go for it, personally i was happy expressing. has she tried different pumps? by asking the question it sounds as if she's not totally sold on the idea. has she tried expressing whilst feeding, i appreciate life is busy but she's already chosen the best start for baby. Try expressing first thing in morning, particularly when feeding.
honestly, milk be produced to meet baby's demand, more expressing/feeding will increase supply.
I think i'd carry on bf, and express if at all poss, then minimum amount of formula if really necessary but it's got to be right for her, combination feeding suits some, although i haven't known it done 50/50 before but as long as formula is made up properly i would forsee few probs, although i agree it is a waste of ebm if not all taken.
Hope that's not too waffly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now