Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and hair-dyes

(5 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Fri 22-Jul-05 23:18:48

Anybody know if there's any problems with dying your hair if you're breastfeeding.

Also, my hair started falling out last month at the same time my period returned (DS is 5 mths).

I want to have my hair dyed - but not if it's potentially harmful to my son.

Also, what about nail varnish, and nail varnish remover ? Anyone know if the chemicals in this can transfer to milk ?

Dumpy Mon 25-Jul-05 21:50:00

I am supposed to be getting my hair dyed at the weekend. I'm glad I found this question because I didn't think anything of it before! I would ask the hairdresser but my sis is doing it for me at home! I hope it is safe because I'm really bored with plain old brown! Anyone know anything?????

serenity Mon 25-Jul-05 21:55:06

I think it's fine as far as I know - at least I've pregnant/breast feeding and dying my hair since I had DS1 7 years ago!

I've never seen anything saying it's risky, and I'm sure there have been previous threads on this where the general consenus is that it's safe.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 25-Jul-05 21:56:09

I really think all these are safe. Here is a link about the hair colouring.

tiktok Mon 25-Jul-05 23:58:54

The only way anything like this would be harmful is if it got into your system, ruthie, and even then, it would be enormously difficult for it to transfer to your milk. Hair dye stays on your head. Nail varnish stays on your nails. You might smell it a bit - but unless you are going to put a nosegay of flowers in a permanent spot under your baby's nostrils for the next few years, to absorb all the smells of different stuff in the world, then I cannot see the point of worrying about a bit of cosmetic.

I wish women didn't worry about this sort of stuff. What's the point? You might as well not let your baby anywhere near your skin or your hair , and avoid cuddles and kisses, in case he smells/licks/tastes/breathes in your shower gel......

Not getting at you, Ruthie. Just sad at the fears too many women have.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: