Talk

Advanced search

Can a BF baby OVER FEED ?

(12 Posts)
lovinit Fri 22-Jul-05 12:55:32

What would you do if your 3.5 week old has just empited her guts during her last fed ? It was almost as if she had too much ... If she had not been burped properly, would she have vomited so much out ? I have put her down for bedtime after being cleaned up ... should I have topped her up more ?

Are BF babies supposed to be able to control intake according to their need ?

poppy101 Fri 22-Jul-05 12:57:16

How much is she vomitting, all the time when you feed her ??

nailpolish Fri 22-Jul-05 13:02:28

maybe its just wind, massive burps can cause vomiting i think

why not burp baby in the middle of the feed as well as the end, amybe even twice in the middle (iyswim)

singsong Fri 22-Jul-05 13:06:07

I wouldn’t worry about it if it happens once or occasionally. If it is a recurrent thing though I would take her to see the GP of health visitor to make sure she is keeping enough down.

WigWamBam Fri 22-Jul-05 13:10:48

My dd used to throw up a complete feed every morning - it turned out to be because the milk was coming too fast from one breast for the first feed of the day. Expressing from that side first thing in the morning slowed things down and stopped the vomiting.

tiktok Fri 22-Jul-05 13:28:03

What would I do?

Answer: nothing! Some babies do this. It doesn't matter unless the baby's poorly or losing weight. Some babies, esp when little, do take more than their tummies can handle at any one time.

I wouldn't bother with the expressing malarkey - just have the muslines handy.
Some babies throw up enough to make them feel hungry quickly afterwards. Just feed 'em

nailpolish Fri 22-Jul-05 13:56:52

hurray for tiktok, i love your posts!

spidermama Fri 22-Jul-05 14:04:20

Yep. Exactly what tiktok said.

tiktok Fri 22-Jul-05 15:00:06

WigWamBam Fri 22-Jul-05 17:44:04

I used to feed in bed in the mornings, and just felt that expressing in the morning was better than having to keep changing the sheets every day because a whole feed thrown back up at me was making a hell of a mess of the bed! I was good at expressing, and it only took a few minutes to express 10 oz, and in my case that guaranteed that dd would not vomit the entire feed back.

For me it was worth it, but as tiktok says, for others it might be more hassle than it was worth.

shalaa Fri 22-Jul-05 20:11:26

My Ds is nearly 6 months and he still does this! My milk flows very fast at the beginning of a feed so that might be it, he also tends to overgorge and throw everything back up. He used to do 2-3 times a day but now it's only every over day. Doctor said there was nothing wrong with him as he was gaining about 10oz a week!

Prufrock Sat 23-Jul-05 14:38:54

My ds used to do exactly what tiktok said - he was just a greedy little thing, and would stuff his tummy too full of milk then have to bring it back up. This was happening at least once a day, but as he went from 48th to 92nd centile in 6 weeks I figured he was still getting enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: