Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding 'older' babies in public

(5 Posts)
PrettyCandles Wed 20-Jul-05 14:33:18

What's the big deal? If you're comfortable feeding a 3mo in public, then why not a 1yo? Between about 4m and 1y I tended to use Mother-and-Baby rooms, or somewhere discreet to feed dd, but that was because during that period she was an awful thrasher and I disliked having my breast periodically displayed to the world. Dd was still having daytime feeds at 18m and I happily fed her in public - in fact, at that age I prefered not to feed in MaB rooms because I felt that I might be rubbing it into the faces of mums who regretted having weaned.

I can't understand why it should be an issue, but so many mums have said that they fed to a fairly advanced age 'but only at home'.

roosmum Wed 20-Jul-05 14:37:41

prettycandles - i thought that by that age (ie abt 1) the number of feeds would be v. low anyway?? eg just morning & night?
if so, then you'd never need to feed in public, would you?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 20-Jul-05 14:40:20

I think it depends on how scheduled you are. With DS1, I was quite scheduled, and by a year, he was feeding just twice a day, and soon after, just once a day.

But with DS2, I don't really have a schedule, so I feed him before putting him down, or whever I think of it, or whatever. He's 10 months now, and I don't think I'm going to turn into Gina Ford any time soon.

I don't feed him in public that often, as he's not interested in feeding in public, and will often bite me as a result.

(I do feel a bit funny bf in public now, although it's totally natural to me, I know that 10 months old is, to many people, "old" to be breastfeeding.)

PrettyCandles Wed 20-Jul-05 14:40:28

When I started cutting down on dd's feeds she was about 19m and was feeding 4/5x daily - and eating 3 full meals plus occasional snacks. And she was not a porker, just big and strong with a good appetite!

roosmum Wed 20-Jul-05 14:48:07

ok pc, that's quite a lot i guess! she must need it tho??

i'd happily bf my 6 mth old ds past a year (originally said i'd stop then), but i thought it'd just be a couple a day by then. i have no problem whatsoever with public bf (tiny babies, bigger babies, whatever), tho i can't actually remember ever having seen a much older baby bf in public. dunno whether i'd be 'brave' enough myself to do it, tho i hope i would, should it come to that (it took me a little while to feel happy with bf my tiny ds in public, fine now). morning/night feeds def more appealing to me personally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: