Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very quick question about defrosted EBM

(12 Posts)
popsycal Sun 17-Jul-05 17:19:34

IfI take it out of the freezer tonight and put it in the fridge to defrost overnight to use tomorrow, when is the latest I can use the defrosted EBM?

TIA
Popsy (now wetting her pants.....)

popsycal Sun 17-Jul-05 17:37:32

WigWamBam Sun 17-Jul-05 17:39:10

I should think you would treat it as fresh once it had defrosted. I never used to leave mine more than 24 hours but I'm told it's OK for longer than that - how long are you planning to leave it for before you use it?

IvortheEngine Sun 17-Jul-05 17:39:29

popsycal - Can I bump this for you and also say thank you again for all your help with my concerns some months ago re ds' spelling problems? He has had a busy summer term what with sports, music, SATs and stuff so we haven't done much work on spelling for ages, but we intend to do some in the summer hols. Just a bit here and there. Anyway...I'm waffling. He had 2 Level 5s and 2 Level 4s for his SATS! He was really pleased. 5s in Welsh and English and 4s in Maths and Science. He is going to the secondary school of his choice (and ours) in Sept and is so looking forward to it. So...thank you again. I'm sorry that I can't help with the EBM question as I was 100% useless at it, but I hope the bump helps. Thanks again.

hunkermunker Sun 17-Jul-05 17:45:52

Aw, Popsy!

I take it you're planning on it being used tomorrow?

I'd leave it 24 hours, personally, but it'll probably be OK longer than that (48? Am guessing).

Good luck with it.

Seona1973 Sun 17-Jul-05 19:34:24

Kellymom gives the guideline of keeping it for 24 hours once thawed. More info is here

popsycal Sun 17-Jul-05 19:55:44

thanks girls....
i am going to take it out of the freezer this evening, leave in fridge to defrost overnight then he will use it all up tomorrow.....
that should be fine then.

The silly instructions on the pump say 12 hours

I believe you girls!!!

Ivortheengine! Great news!!!! give me a shout if you want any more advice!

Love Daisy the cow xxx

MarsLady Sun 17-Jul-05 20:02:25

I used to stand mine in warm water. Defrosted a treat. Didn't take long and soon got to room temperature

SofiaAmes Mon 18-Jul-05 01:26:14

I know they say not to do it, but mine was defrosted in the microwave for both my children and it seemed to work out just fine. You just need to make sure to mix it to avoid the hot spots.

chipmonkey Mon 18-Jul-05 02:59:50

The thing with the microwave is that some nutrients get destroyed, but I think the milk would be fine germ-wise! If I needed it quickly I would stand it in the bottle-warmer.

shhhh Sat 30-Jul-05 21:54:46

I was told by breastfeeding helpline that once defrosted it was to be used within 4-5 hours..???

Roxswood Thu 04-Aug-05 23:20:38

Breastmilk defrosting in a fridge can be kept for 24 hours (from when you take it out of the freezer). Breastmilk defrosted in warm water should be used within 2 hours and at room temp (not on a hot day) within 4 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now