Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Using EBM after it has been heated

(11 Posts)
popsycal Fri 15-Jul-05 13:31:20

I know with formula, once you have warmed it you need to use within the hour.

I suspect with EBM you can leave it longer - how long? Say if it is warmed at 10am and not finished totally, when is the latest he could finish it off?

Thanks
Popsy (finding reasons to panic about going back to work....)

tiktok Fri 15-Jul-05 14:09:39

Why warm it, popsy??

fastasleep Fri 15-Jul-05 14:12:06

Mine took it cold, or at room temperature quite happily from birth... I let him keep the same bottle until little white flecks appeared in it... which is probably a terrible thing to do, I don't know (make sure to shake it properly at first otherwise there are always white flecks!)

(He never got sick!!)

fastasleep Fri 15-Jul-05 14:13:07

Also another thing I did was keep my milk in small ammounts... so DS would have a 100ml/4oz bottle at a time, so it wouldn't go off...and then if he wasn't full just get another out of the fridge..

fastasleep Fri 15-Jul-05 14:13:24

Can't type today!

popsycal Fri 15-Jul-05 14:19:19

it will have been in the fridge....it has taken me weeks and weeks to take ebm.......tried every possible combination......need to stick to what works for now

fastasleep Fri 15-Jul-05 14:20:41

I'd just wait till the fleck thing happens and then chuck it out (it takes about two hours) I'm sure someone will come along and go 'oh my god how disgusting!' but Theo never had any tummy upsets..

popsycal Fri 15-Jul-05 14:21:18

the fleck thing???

fastasleep Fri 15-Jul-05 14:24:12

It gets small white flecks in it when it starts to go bad... as if it's reseperating, which it will in the fridge anyway...so shake it well, when it looks like it's seperating again, throw it out!

popsycal Fri 15-Jul-05 14:25:59

that makes sense...i was going to say that it did that in the fridge

chipmonkey Fri 15-Jul-05 17:59:54

Popsy, when ds3 was in SCBU, the nurse told me the EBM should be discarded 2 hours after heating. Tiktok, popsy's ds2 and my ds3 are very similar in their whims, likes and dislikes and my ds3 won't touch a cold bottle of EBM, it has to be heated in a bottle-warmer for precisely 5 minutes or in a jug of just-boiled water for precisely 3.5 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now