Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

3 am wake up?

(7 Posts)
Mum2Millie Tue 12-Jul-05 18:11:23

Just settled into 4 hourly feeds using the 11,7,3 pattern, do I need to wake DD up for a 3am feed (she's 7 weeks) she has been known to go through 5-6 hours at night but was often unsettled in the day. With the new pattern she is more settled in the day and going to sleep easier.
I have only heard about this method from friends and forgot to ask about this vital bit!!

Seona1973 Tue 12-Jul-05 19:17:12

no, I wouldnt wake your lo for a middle of the night feed at this age. It is probably more appropriate to wake a newborn if they have gone too long between feeds but your lo is a bit older and is more able to go a longer period between feeds (especially if they are doing it at the right time i.e. in the night). Savour the sleep while you can!!

Twiglett Tue 12-Jul-05 19:20:55

no never wake a sleeping babe is a good rule of thumb

girrafey Tue 12-Jul-05 20:59:49

hi there, have to ask how do you get her to take enough to last the 4 hours? mine cant seem to handle the amount of fluid needed. she can just about stretch to 3 hours with alot of distraction in the last half n hour, but she will settle at 11 and go through to 5 most nights. iv have tred making her go longer but she gets so hysterical she cant take a feed as she falls asleep. please help!!! sorry to hi jack your thread. x

starlover Tue 12-Jul-05 21:03:35

the vastr majority of babies that age cannot go for that long without a feed.

amyjo... how old is your daughter? if she is a similar age then it isn't surprising she won't go longer than 6 hours iwthout a feed! they only have tiny tummies and need frequent feeds to fill themselves up. she probably has that 6 hours because she has eaten enough during the day.

Mum2Millie Tue 12-Jul-05 22:25:59

amyjo22, mine was also going through about 5 to 6 hours at night(shes on 6 fl oz)which of course is good, but then feeding was all over the place in the day, between 1.5 - 3 hours and very tetchy. So I woke her in the middle of the night at 3 to start off the 'pattern' it seems to be working she is settling more after feeding - but just not sure if I need to keep waking her at 3, I'm going to carry on for another day and then do the last feed at 11 and see what happens! If she doesn't take much I pop her on the floor which normally wakes her up!!

girrafey Tue 12-Jul-05 23:41:42

she is 10 weeks. she has 2.5 oz at some feeds and 6 at others! i hav kept a diary for the last 2 weeks but no pattern.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now