Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Milk in a lidded beaker

(5 Posts)
speaker Thu 07-Jul-05 14:48:18

Any advice please on when you should move from a bottle to a lidded beaker for milk and any tips on succeeding!?

My dd is 19mths. She has a milk feed still at bed-time (the only one now in the day). She normally drinks at least 7oz from a bottle. I've just swapped to a lidded beaker (Tommy Tippy Easyflow) as I know other little ones of a similar age doing so and therefore thought perhaps we should be doing this too(!).

The first couple of nights she drank from it fine but for the last four nights she refuses to even take a sip. Have tried a different beaker too, but no joy.

Although she's not having her milk at night, she's sleeping through fine but I'm just concerned she's not getting enough as much milk as she should. She has milk in her Weetabix, and has yogurts and cheese so she is at least having some dairy.

During the day she doesn't have a problem drinking water from either a lidded beaker (including the one we are trying for milk) or from a beaker without a lid.

Do we just keep persevering with the same beaker, should we go back to the bottle (reluctant to but some say what does it matter at least she's getting her milk) or what?

Nbg Thu 07-Jul-05 14:50:46

I saw my hv yesterday and asked if it was still ok for dd who is 21 months to still have her milk in a bottle and she said it's fine as long as she is drinking from a beaker or cup during the day.

PrettyCandles Thu 07-Jul-05 14:53:11

It's better for the child's teeth to stick with the beaker, but, on the other hand, if you decide to return to a bottle for just the bed-time milk, then that shouldn't be a problem as long as you make sure to brush her teeth afterwards.

What you describe suggests that your dd was perfectly happy with the new beaker, but once the novelty wore off she wanted to return to what was familiar. You could try choosing (or letting her choose) a beaker with a character or picture that she loves, and making a fuss of it, or you could just persevere with one of the beakers that you already have. She won't come to any harm for not having a bedtime drink. You could increase her milk during the day, or give her more cheese or yogurt. There are other non-dairy sources of calcium too, as well as the fat that is in the milk.

Tommy Thu 07-Jul-05 15:03:35

I would try not to worry about it. My DS1 is 3 and a half and still drinks his bedtine milk out of a lidded beaker even though he can drink out of a cup perfectly well. I's a comfort thing before sleep. Your DD is still quite little I would say and letting her carry on with a bottle is not going to harm her! When I was going through the same thing with my DS and his bottle, everyone assured me that he would not take a bottle to school to drink out of ao he would obviously grow out of it eventually!

speaker Thu 07-Jul-05 18:30:22

Thanks everyone - food for thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now