Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

REFUSES A CUP....

(24 Posts)
jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 20:44:59

Someone PLEASE help! After spending a stupid amount of money, and having more cups than i know what to do with - I cannot get Jess to drink out of a cup! She is 11 months old now, and ive tried since she was 4 months!

At the end of my teather because i keep getting dissaproving looks when she has juice out of a bottle.... HELP!

Mosschops30 Mon 04-Jul-05 20:46:50

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 20:47:50

yup. been there. bought her a tomee tippee 4 month cup the other day and she will tip it up til she has a mouth full of juice and then spit it all out!!! GRRRRR

badvole Mon 04-Jul-05 20:49:19

Leave the beaker next to her all day to play with. If it's a familiar (friendly!) object, she'll be more likely to drink from it.

Or try offering only water from a bottle and juice from a cup. She's not a daft little girl and if she likes juice and realises water's all she'll get from a bottle, she'll drink it from a cup And if she only drinks water, then her teeth will be safe and you can address the bottle issue with another thread in a year's time

badvole Mon 04-Jul-05 20:49:29

Oops. Am still badvole

charleepeters Mon 04-Jul-05 20:49:32

I know what you mean J&Bmum i have this with DS hes the same age as Jess - after spending loads on all the brand name cups he will now kind of take tesco's own bottle to cup trainer - the spouts soft so its like a bottle - he wont hold it and more chews the juice/water out than sucks it but its progress with all te advent/tomme tippe ones he just cried when i put them inhis mouth - give it a go if you havent already.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 20:50:45

thanks guys - jess detests water, so the water in the bottle juice in a cup might work.

Thanks HM!

marne Mon 04-Jul-05 20:51:44

Had same problom with dd, we have about 12 cups. The only one she likes is the tesco non spil cup (the cheepest one we bought) it only cost 99p. Found the any way up cups are to hard to suck, she will also drink out of a sports cup.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 20:52:48

a family member has just said about the sports cap bottles - was worried that jess was a bit young for them?

charleepeters Mon 04-Jul-05 20:52:56

Isnt it funny that you buy brand names thinking they must be best and its your baby who decides they only want the cheap ones - ds doesnt his to me all the time

badvole Mon 04-Jul-05 20:53:09

DS is most fond of the Tommee Tippee beakers on this page - the blue and the pink one (only his is yellow!) - although he will drink from anything!

badvole Mon 04-Jul-05 20:53:38

Boots beakers are good too - that's the first one DS liked.

hunkermunker Mon 04-Jul-05 20:54:18

Phew, that's better

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 20:54:45

HM... jess has got the pink one with handles (piglet on the front i believe!) and i just bought her the red "first" cup which she is adapting to but as i said, ends up soaked through because she spits most of it out!

charleepeters Mon 04-Jul-05 20:54:51

Hunkermunker - why were you badvole for a while?

hunkermunker Mon 04-Jul-05 20:56:15

CP - see this thread

charleepeters Mon 04-Jul-05 20:57:48

oh ok i get it i like you best as HUnkermunker to thats what i know you by - dont go changin!

Spongebob Mon 04-Jul-05 21:03:25

Have you tried "Be Free" bottle to cup trainer?

Spongebob Mon 04-Jul-05 21:04:04

Its got a soft spout, sort of a cross between a bottle and a cup.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 04-Jul-05 22:25:58

whats one of them??? is there a link?!

Laura032004 Tue 05-Jul-05 11:39:02

This is the link to the Bottle to Cup Trainer on the BabyBFree website. We found these cups fantastic. It was the only cup that ds would take at first, so we had loads of them!

I've got an unused one that's still in it's packaging if you're interested.

bobbybob Tue 05-Jul-05 11:44:49

Ds didn't grasp a cup until a year so I wouldn't worry about that. maybe the dissaproving looks are about the juice not the bottle.

tiktok Tue 05-Jul-05 13:32:50

Hmmm.....maybe I am just hard-faced or I just don't notice stuff, but being at the end of one's tether because of disapproving looks???! Probably imagined, anyway.....why change your behaviour and your child's preferences because of what you think people are saying with their looks? Life's too short, doncha think?

If they do disapprove, then they should get a life and mind their own business....we are talking about a baby with a bottle of juice, which is hardly the worst thing to disapprove of

Chickyboo Wed 06-Jul-05 08:11:26

Jessicasmummy I was just about to post the same problem...my dd is 11 mths Just like you I have used at least 4 cups...she has just started taking the tommee tippee cup with the flip out spout but she has been using the Doidy cup since 5mths. Problem is she will not drink milk from anything except bottle and I know what you mean about disapproving looks...though I must say once you've braved breastfeeding in public...its hard to care about peoples opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now