Talk

Advanced search

screaming mid feed - help

(10 Posts)
katzguk Mon 04-Jul-05 20:00:51

DD2 ( 4 weeks) feeds for about 5mins then pulls off screaming, following a long back pating session, she will finally burp and will then latch back on again, we can repeat this several times during a feed.

help oh experinced ones

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 20:07:20

Just a thought ......Thrush in the mouth giving her pain?? Look for white spots on tongue or a white coating which doesn't come off when rubbed. If she has this it's worth getting it treated asap so it doesn't spread to you.

katzguk Mon 04-Jul-05 20:15:57

hadn't thought of that, persummed it was wind.

PrettyCandles Mon 04-Jul-05 20:16:09

Wind. Try a different feeding position. (If she was older it could be teething - I suppose it's possible, after all babies can be born with teeth, but it doesn't seem likely. Besides, you say she burps and then settles on again.) Also, try drinking strong fennel tea yourself and giving her a teaspoonful or so a couple of times a day as well. Very effective indeed. IMO the best make is Dr Stuart's Botanical. Put a bag in a cup of boiling water, cover and leave overnight. Use the tea the following morning. I did this with both of mine and it works very well. HTH.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 04-Jul-05 20:33:43

Is it every feed? Or just some?

I'd investigate feed circumstances/position to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, you're down to fiddling with your diet ...

katzguk Mon 04-Jul-05 20:39:23

think it might be the thrush thing, just been on the nhsdirect website and DD symptoms match there description and ditto my boobs, i just assumed that the new soreness was due to stronger sucking and itchness due to heat!

will see GP tomorrow for some medication - thanks spidermama would never have associated the unlatching with thrush

spidermama Mon 04-Jul-05 20:48:09

You're welcome. Very important to get it sorted before it gets worse. Breastfeeding Network have really excellent stuff about this on website but I'm no good at links.
Good luck.

icklelulu Tue 05-Jul-05 12:52:23

Just thought I should say give your health visitor a call cos they can write prescriptions rather than leaving it till tomorrow to see the doc. My DS has had thrush recently but I caught it before it spread to me, still got myself treated aswell though. Also your HV can give you other advice that Ive found the docs just dont give!!!Not very good with breast feeding issues!Dont want to worry you either but another reason for getting it treated today is that it could spread into babies throat and that is very unpleasant for them. Have worked on a childrens ward so seen it many times!! Hope everything gets sorted

icklelulu Tue 05-Jul-05 12:53:24

oh sorry!just had a blonde moment didnt realise this thread was from last night!Oh well

tiktok Tue 05-Jul-05 13:28:03

Could be over supply, katz - check archives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now