Talk

Advanced search

How long does your 'older baby' old take to breastfeed?

(15 Posts)
bakedpotato Sun 03-Jul-05 15:32:30

DS's feeds have suddenly got a lot quicker. Until a week or so ago, he was taking 20-25 mins for a full feed, but now he starts mucking about maybe 5 mins into b'feed. I swap him over, he is busy and settled on the other side for maybe another 5 mins, then starts chatting and humming, or lurching off to see what his sister is doing, at which point I stop the feed. I'm as confident as I can be that he's getting enough. Just curious to know how long other babies of around this age take to feed.
(He is 5 mths and a bit)

dinny Sun 03-Jul-05 15:34:41

ds did pretty much the same, Bakedpotato. He's 10 months now and takes about 2 mins max!

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 15:36:05

He is getting enough. He gets better at sucking and you get more effient at producing. Just enjoy it. He'll take what he needs.

CarolinaMoon Sun 03-Jul-05 16:09:05

yep, all that hard work in the first few weeks is paying off now isn't it .

Ruthiebaby Mon 04-Jul-05 09:31:30

I know that you want to know about older babies, but my Ds is nearly 5 months, and he only takes 5 mins on average. Sometimes it's less ! Sometimes he wants to suckle for a long time though. But, it seems he gets what milk he needs in a few mins.

Ruthiebaby Mon 04-Jul-05 09:34:53

Oh, and he'll also do what yours does...he'll stop and have a look around, normally at the telly or at his dad to see what's going on....or the cat..or anything else that makes a noise or moves. He'll then turn back to have some more and will literally touch it with his mouth and turn his head back round again to see what's going on...this can go on for quite some time.
I normally only do one breast at a time for him and I'm confident he has enough.

bakedpotato Mon 04-Jul-05 09:45:21

Thanks all. It's just such a big change, and it has happened so quickly.
I barely know what to do with all this spare time .

CheekyGirl Mon 04-Jul-05 22:01:28

My ds is 6mths and only feeds for longer than a few mins if he is sleepy. He gulps at a frantic pace and then starts messing around - his latest is raspberry blowing with nipple in mouth. Nice.

kama Mon 04-Jul-05 22:06:53

Message withdrawn

CarolinaMoon Tue 05-Jul-05 17:46:00

kama, ds is 8mo and there are still quite a few feeds, they are just all v quick (not sure how many, I don't really keep track). That's possibly because of the warm weather atm though.

beansprout Tue 05-Jul-05 17:50:19

Ds is 8mo and is on 5 feeds a day.

ricecake Wed 06-Jul-05 06:50:05

My DS became more and more distracted the older he became. I had always fed him in his bedroom, but as he became older - around 6 months, the only place he would feed without constant distractions was on the bed in his bedroom.

We are still doing this at just over one year old, but of course now he only feeds around 4 times a day and they are generally quite quick feeds (10 mins.max). Sometimes he falls asleep on the breast and I have to remove my breast gently beacuse he has such a strong grip on it !

I worried about his intake as well, but I think it's inevitable once you introduce solids and they get more interested in the world around them, they will become quick at the breast.

Don't forget also that they have become "experts" by now and know exactly how to remove milk from the breast.

bobbybob Wed 06-Jul-05 07:17:01

Ds does the whole days intake in 2 and a half minutes, both sides, including changing over. He is 28 months. It would take me 2 and half minutes to pour milk into a cup, watch him drink it and wash up the cup, so I am happy for this to continue until he wants to give up.

Papillon Wed 06-Jul-05 07:46:49

mine would sit there sucking all day if allowed - that she adores is an understatement

hercules Wed 06-Jul-05 07:57:36

between 2 secs and 20 minutes. If im at work or we're out not at all, if home then lots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now