Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Infacol causing crying while feeding?

(10 Posts)
themothership Thu 30-Jun-05 17:31:18

Hi
My 6 week old dd is a very windy (and therefore very miserable) baby. I bought some infacol yesterday and started giving that to her before feeds, but since then she has been crying during feeds, keeps bobbing off the breast as if she can't stay latched on and therefore not been able to take much milk. It's obviously very distressing... The last feed, I noticed that she was kicking her legs alot and realised that she was really farty so bicycled her legs for a bit, which seemed to help. I don't know whether this is just a coincidence or whether the infacol has bought on the windiness during feeds - she usually just has wind afterwards. Anyone else had similar experience or can suggest what it could be?

lunachic Thu 30-Jun-05 17:34:28

sounds like good ol wind maybe bit colicky too (though shes prob too old for colic) you could try nelsons teetha as a painkiller /soother - suitable from newborn (its homeopathic chamomilla)
maybe shes reacting to something youre eating have you had grapes there supposedly bad for wind ?

themothership Thu 30-Jun-05 17:41:42

Ooh, I did just give her some chamomilla, a bit difficult to tell is it's working just yet as now she's just thoroughly grumpy after a day of really traumatic feeds. Haven't had any grapes - have been being quite concious of what I'm eating because she does seem to have such a delicate constitution. I'll stop giving the infacol for a bit though and see if there's any difference.

girrafey Fri 01-Jul-05 08:56:07

hiya i found the same with my dd, but i found she was in too much pain after if i didnt give any to her, So i learnt to give it to her half way through. so by the time she has finished feeding it is just kicking in and the wind comes up easily after she has finished. hope that helps.

lunachic Fri 01-Jul-05 09:12:10

the problem might be the way the infacol works-
it doesnt get rid of the wind-it somehow gets all the little bubbles of wind in the babies tummy to join and form one big bubble which should be easier to 'get up' (it says this on back of packet )
maybe if that wind is trapped and not brought up through burping it is more painful for the baby cause its one big bit of wind and not a few small bits
think if your going to give infacol you need to make sure you get the babies wind up well !

Feffi Fri 01-Jul-05 09:32:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

themothership Mon 04-Jul-05 14:03:14

Reassuring to hear that it's not just me then. I've ditched the Infacol, and that seems to have stopped the crying / windiness during feeding, and having just started using gripe water instead. This does seem to have the effect of completely conking my little one out though - is this normal? I just gave some to her during her 1pm feed, she had a tummy rumble and then went super sleepy, even though she'd just woken up from a 2 hour nap! Barely stayed awake to finish feeding and then wanted to go straight back to bed. I'm not going to complain because usually getting her to take a daytime nap is a nightmare, but am slightly taken aback at the effect that the gripe water had on her.

Feffi Mon 04-Jul-05 15:41:42

themothership Mon 04-Jul-05 16:27:29

Do you know why it causes them to conk out like that though? Is it just the relief / release from the pain, or is there something more to it?

Feffi Mon 04-Jul-05 16:54:02

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now