loader

Talk

Advanced search

Straight from breast to cup????

(38 Posts)
Feffi Tue 28-Jun-05 17:11:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

starlover Tue 28-Jun-05 17:11:49

there's no reason why yuo shouldn't do this!
you're right... no reason to bother with a bottle if he'll take a cup!

lemonice Tue 28-Jun-05 17:21:45

dd2 never had a bottle, cup and breast fed (I don't think she had a sippy cup either)

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 17:37:25

DS2 hasn't had a bottle, not since the early days when I could be bothered with EBM, and hasn't really had sippy cups. He likes open cups, or sports bottles. (Hasn't had milk from them, though, just water.)

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:38:41

DD went straight from breast to cup but only for water .. she wouldn't take milk from a cup until she was about a year old though

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 17:41:47

Oh, duh, my DS1 went from breast to cup, too. We didn't do formula, so he just started with cow's milk at a year. He did sippy cups.

It might be worth letting your DS fiddle with sippy cups (try a few different styles) from once you start offering other liquids (when you wean, presumably at six months).

If he refuses to take formula from a cup, that doesn't have to be a problem - at nine months, if they're eating well, babies can manage on just morning and night feeds, from what I know.

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 17:49:33

DD wouldn't take breast milk from a cup

eventually started giving her cow's milk

never used formula

CarolinaMoon Tue 28-Jun-05 17:51:58

um, this is probably a bit of a thick question, but if you give a baby a non-sippy cup (i.e. open at the top), don't you just end up with a cupful of water/milk/whatever all over the floor?

Feffi Tue 28-Jun-05 17:54:36

misdee Tue 28-Jun-05 17:54:58

what sort of cups can be used? any before 6 months?

Feffi Tue 28-Jun-05 17:56:04

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 19:19:32

misdee, I think Avent do sippy-cup spouts that are ok from four months.

Feffi, I wouldn't give cow's milk much before 12 months, but a week or two won't make any difference, I don't think.

I have certainly known 6-month-olds who were managing on just two feeds a day. You could do morning, night, and a dream feed, even.

CarolinaMoon, I wouldn't just hand my baby an open cup. I hold it and tip it, and he drinks very well. There's a bit of spillage, but nothing noteworthy (he only does finger foods, so mess is normal). I think he drinks better from sports bottles, but I can't really tell.

kama Tue 28-Jun-05 19:48:38

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Tue 28-Jun-05 19:54:25

I just know that's what he was doing. He was in nursery, I think. His mum was ill (really bad SPD), if I remember right. Certainly at a year, managing on just two breastfeeds a day is relatively normal, so why not at 9 months?

He took other fluids, obviously.

Feffi Tue 28-Jun-05 20:50:48

likklemum Tue 28-Jun-05 21:19:38

At the hospital, the midwives were feeding newborn babies from open cups so they wouldnt get used to bottles and refuse breast, so i think even young babies (4months) could use open cups with help.

Twiglett Tue 28-Jun-05 21:27:38

DD was 10.5 months when she started drinking cow's milk (and I stopped breastfeeding)

edodgy Tue 28-Jun-05 21:31:20

If he'll do it then go for it I went from breast to bottle but wish i'd tried a cup first as having a nightmare getting dd (now 2.2) off bottle for her milk she'll happily take any other liquid from cups but not milk think its a comfort thing. This time am definately going to try cup after bf. Good Luck.

stringbean Tue 28-Jun-05 21:35:12

I'm doing this at the moment with dd (9 mo), and it's worked fine. It wasn't my intention to do this, but she has never taken a bottle (she wouldn't take a bottle of breast milk, let alone formula). She will grudgingly drink a little bit of formula from a beaker on the days I'm at work, but flatly refuses to if I'm around. I found the best beaker for her was the Heinz Baby Basic type (suitable from 4 months), which she still prefers, or a Boots' one with handles and a flip cap which closes over the spout. She's never really got on with an Avent one - I think they have to suck quite hard to get anything out.

Feffi Tue 28-Jun-05 21:39:38

helsy Tue 28-Jun-05 21:41:13

DD2 wouldn't take a bottle until 8 months - during that time I started back at work so we tried to get her onto a cup. She did take a doidy cup and the heinz basics one. We wasted a fortune on trainer cups/bottles/ different teats and the ones they have to suck were no use at all. She now (at 13 months) will drink from a bottle and a cup. What did it was DH sitting patiently with her for a full day whilst I was at work.

CarolinaMoon Wed 29-Jun-05 09:01:58

well, ds (8mo) will quite happily drink water from a tommee tippee beaker with a flip-up spout (no valve) - sometimes by himself, sometimes with me helping - so we haven't used bottles.

Am a bit relieved re open cups - was beginning to think I was missing something

chipmonkey Wed 29-Jun-05 10:08:40

The Avent white spouts are suitable from 4 months. I give ds3 a little water from one at the moment. He takes it fine but looks a little puzzled. He should be 4 months old now but was 2 months prem. Likklemum at your hospital. At ours I didn't see any baby being fed from a cup, all were put on bottles after tube feeding. Still managed to bf ds3 fully though once I got him home!

popsycal Wed 29-Jun-05 10:12:06

i have a doidy cup here waiting incase i simply cant get ds2 on a bottle
will find a link

popsycal Wed 29-Jun-05 10:13:14

doidy
but if you google doidy you will get the bickiepegs site where they are cheaper but i cant access iyt as my computer is crapp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now