Talk

Advanced search

rebuilding milk supply

(18 Posts)
myermay Sun 26-Jun-05 21:33:01

Message withdrawn

pupuce Sun 26-Jun-05 21:35:00

How old is your baby ? How is she fed?
Sorry I don't understand where you are coming from...

myermay Sun 26-Jun-05 21:44:18

Message withdrawn

starlover Sun 26-Jun-05 21:48:59

you should be able to rebuild it, but you;ll need to express at least 8-10 times a day (including in the night).

why did you stop feeding?

Flossam Sun 26-Jun-05 21:51:41

thought you should only go on combined pill after six months if still wishing to bf too, might need to rethink that with the gp.

tiktok Sun 26-Jun-05 23:29:42

Yes, you can rebuild your milk supply - but it needs a lot of commitment and time....expressing at least 8 times in 24 hours in addition to putting the baby skin to skin and enabling feeds whenever are the basics. Yes, you will need to change contraceptive pill. Call any of the bf helplines, and search on mumsnet and the web on relactation.

Good luck

uwila Sun 26-Jun-05 23:55:38

Myermay, I'm no expert, but I wonder if domperidone might help you get the supply back.

tiktok Mon 27-Jun-05 08:49:34

domeperidone is ok (though getting it prescribed is not always easy) and all the other 'stuff' sometimes recommended (herns and so on) is likely to be harmless....but nothing will be effective without the stimulation of the supply. Why did you stop, myermay?

tiktok Mon 27-Jun-05 08:49:51

herns=herbs

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 09:54:11

listen to tiktok she knows what she's talking about!
i used domperidone and it doubled my supply, but i wasn't expressing enough and so when i stopped taking it my supply dropped back down!
also the pharmacist told me you can only take it for 14 days, so it's in no way a long term solution (unless you get supply up and express/bf enough to keep it up)

lockets Mon 27-Jun-05 09:56:45

Message withdrawn

throckenholt Mon 27-Jun-05 10:01:14

Fenugreek might help - but again you need to do lots of expressing, and also lots of skin to skin time with the baby - latching on as well if possible.

If expressing - don't worry about how much you get - that always decreases supply - just express regularly every 2-3 hours and for max of 20 minutes per go. Don't miss the night-time ones - they stimulate supply most. Will probably take a week or two to get things going again well.

It can be done (called relactation) - but it takes effort and you have to be sure you want to do it. Very much depends on why you stopped in the first place.

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 10:06:51

information on domperidone

Starlover - if you read this info you will see that the recommendation is triple the dose that our unit uses of 10mg, 3 times a day.

You can get it without prescription over the counter but large doses would be expensive.

It should be used when other things such as increased feeding/expressing have been unsuccessful.

Definately need to change that pill Myermay if you want to increase supply.

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:14:14

yeah i got mine without prescription, over the counter. it cost £4.50 for 10 tablets. and i was taking 4 a day.

lockets Mon 27-Jun-05 10:17:10

Message withdrawn

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:17:49

yeah that's why i stopped taking it! lol

ds is bottlefed now!

tiktok Mon 27-Jun-05 10:19:54

Mothers with babies under a year get free prescriptions.....so no cost there, but not all docs are familiar with it or feel comfortable about prescribing it.

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 11:58:22

You are absolutely right Tiktok. Unfortunately most GP's don't have a scoogy about breast feeding issues I think it is unlikley they would prescibe it, hence why I always say you can buy iy over the counter. Expensive but hasslefree. I suppose you could always try GP first though - might be very sympathetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now