Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

He seems to be going off breastfeeding - do I stop, or do I try to carry on?

(12 Posts)
dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 10:24:16

DS3 will be 11 months old on 2 July. As I am back at work and have been for ages now, he has got used to having two bottles of milk during the day, but used to be very keen to breastfeed in the evening before going to sleep.

However for the last couple of weeks he has seemed very reluctant to breastfeed and only fed for a few minutes - keeps pulling off, wriggling and seeming quite agitated. So last night I offered him a bottle instead, and he seemed much happier to drink from that, although he only actually drank about four ounces.

I am still feeding him during the night, but that is going to stop soon because I have really had enough of being exhausted, so we're going to do some sleep training .

So what should I do? Should I persist with trying to get him to breastfeed in the evening, and express milk if he won't feed from me? Or do I just accept that it's nearly over?

moondog Fri 24-Jun-05 10:26:42

Just offer for a few more days and see how he feels?
Is he refusing to feed before bed,but waking at night for a feed? No wonder you're exhausted!
(My ds started going off b/feeding at about 7.5 months,although he never had formula. Just suddenly started eating like a horse and drinking a lot of water.)

TracyK Fri 24-Jun-05 10:48:05

My ds was the same from 10mo onwards. I expressed till he was 1yo exactly - gave me a deadline to work towards iykwim. Rather than having to decide when to stop. But he was really only getting 4 ounces at the most per day as I could only manage 2oz in the am and 2 at night by the end.

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 11:25:03

Moondog he was sleeping through for a few weeks but then started waking up really early (about five-ish) and rather than have him wake the older boys, I took the path of least resistance and started bringing him into bed with me and sticking my boob in his mouth to keep him quiet. Result - he just started waking up earlier and earlier and now we're back to an 11.30 p.m. feed and a 3.30 p.m. feed! At nearly 11 months! I can't believe I've let this happen!

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 11:25:38

Maybe if I stopped feeding him in the night, he'd be keener to feed in the morning and in the evening?

TracyK Fri 24-Jun-05 11:27:20

he may be thirsty in this hot weather during the night - would he take a bottle with water in it? I do this for my ds and the suckling action on the bottle helps him go back to sleep too. He doesn't seem to care that its not milk or boob!

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 11:27:44

Yes, maybe I should try that Tracy...

TracyK Fri 24-Jun-05 11:29:03

my ds has been guzzling almost 7 oz of water a night the past week - but it has been v. hot.

mears Fri 24-Jun-05 11:30:32

He obviously enjoys breast feeding but only when it suits him i.e. during the night. I would try and hit that on the head. Unless it is hot I wouldn't offer anything else because you will be substituting one habit with another. He may well look for the breast during the day if he is not getting it at night. He might decide though that if he is not getting it under his own terms he will stop. Depends how you feel about that.

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 12:02:20

When it cools down a bit I will try and hit the night feeds "on the head" as you say, mears.

Tbh I won't be devastated if it is the end of breastfeeding. My goal was to breastfeed for one year minimum and then carry on as long as DS3 still wanted to, but if he stops at 11 months, well, I will still feel as if we've done okay.

mears Fri 24-Jun-05 12:05:37

You will certainly have done OK. I fed DS1 till 11 months. DS2 till 10 months (was pregnant at time so knew I would be doing it again soon )
I fed the nest 2 over a year each because I had got so much more relaxed about it all and they had a feed whenever they wanted it. They were sleeping through the night though.

dinosaur Fri 24-Jun-05 12:06:41

Thanks mears!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now