Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and the return of period

(17 Posts)
Ruthiebaby Wed 22-Jun-05 20:30:11

I was under the impression that your period wasn't supposed to return until you finish breastfeeding.

My ds is 19 weeks old and I got my period for the first time this morning.

Is this normal ?

Will the change in hormones affect my milk at all ?

hewlettsdaughter Wed 22-Jun-05 20:32:09

Mine came back a while ago now and I'm still breastfeeding. I think for some people it doesn't return until they stop, for others it returns earlier.

Comiserations!

kama Wed 22-Jun-05 20:40:46

Message withdrawn

ghost Wed 22-Jun-05 20:43:35

Mine came back on the day of the 6 week check with dd1, a 3 months with ds1 and 4 months with dd2. I dont know about the hormones, however, there was no obvious change in behaviour or weight gain after they started again. Some people are very luck and I have friends,for whom, even after giving up breast feeding earlier (i fed each of mine for a year) their dont start until 7 / 8 months down the line.

hewlettsdaughter Wed 22-Jun-05 20:47:20

There's a thread here which shows that it's different for different people.

Ruthiebaby Wed 22-Jun-05 20:48:14

Oh well... hello tampons !

funnyonion Wed 22-Jun-05 20:57:20

Mine came back when DS was 6months old. I was under the impression that they usually return when you stop night feeds.Although saying that i suppose everyones body works differently. I don't think it effects your milk.

hermykne Wed 22-Jun-05 21:00:42

i have been so fortunate, breastfeeing and ds is now 11mths, end of this month, an got period last fri. nearly 20months of no periods, bliss!

mind you i did notice a big change in my mood and personality upon the return, i really did feel like my old self and could see that person coming back, not the mum of two under 3 who's constantly fretting and busy!

wysiwyg Thu 23-Jun-05 23:25:59

Mine started again after having coil fitted. It's a real bummer as I am still breastfeeding too

dinny Thu 23-Jun-05 23:28:32

mine not back yet - ds is nearly 10 months. still feeds lots at night, so maybe that's why.

mears Thu 23-Jun-05 23:33:17

With first baby mine started again at 6 weeks. Think yourself lucky Ruthiebaby Longest time I had period free was 4 months (4th baby).

chipmonkey Fri 24-Jun-05 15:45:24

actually, dinny, that might explain why mine always came back after 4 months, all of mine slept through from when very young. I had thought it was because of returning to work and expressing rather than feeding during the day but its been the same with ds3 even though I'm not back at work yet.

Kelly1978 Fri 24-Jun-05 15:48:28

with ds and dd they came back pretty much straightaway. I agree it is linked to night feeds, they both started sleeping thru at 6-8 weeks. Had one very slight bleed since havign the twins, not really sure if it a period or not, they are 3 months, and I've stop feedign at night for about 3 weeks now.

spots Fri 24-Jun-05 15:52:38

Mine not yet back though DD effectively only gets 1 feed at bedtime. I'll take yours for you if you want Ruthiebaby - would like to get next baby on the go!

sweetkitty Fri 24-Jun-05 18:19:50

felling very I got mine 4 weeks after post birth bleed stopped and regularly after that DD was exclusively BF a nurse told me that if you have a break of 3-4 hours between feeds you can ovulate and therefore have a period.

dinny Fri 24-Jun-05 18:52:30

worth being woken up at night to avoid periods a bit longer

HellyBelly Sun 26-Jun-05 17:30:25

I b/f for nearly 8 months but if i remember correctly, my period came back after 3 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now