Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much longer can I do this?

(3 Posts)
operababe Mon 20-Jun-05 17:32:39

Hi. My DD is 4 weeks old and I am at my wits end with trying to breastfeed her. We just can't get it right. Had an emergency c-section and couldn't hold her for ages afterwards as I was shaking so much from the anaesthetic. In hosp supplemented things with formula (cup feeding - haven't used a bottle yet) as my milk didn't come in properly until only a couple of weeks ago. Now home tried skin to skin and am battling on as I'm determined to get it right. She sometimes will latch on but will come off immediately, then will get frustrated bless her and will keep moving her head away from my nipple almost as if she can't find it. Tried lying down which helped a bit but again it is really hit and miss. Now we have thrush - her in her mouth me on my nipples - so they are cracked and sore and agony when she latches on. Tried nipple shields which only seemed to make her "lazy" and now she won't open her mouth wide enough for me to latch her on properly. I've had lots of support from friends and my midwife who say give it time and it'll all come right but it isn't improving and I am hours away from throwing in the towel. The cream I've got is Nystatin - has any one used it? How long does it normally take to clear up the thrush? I feel I need to get rid of the thrush before making the final decision to go on to bottles. I just feel a complete failure.

JiminyCricket Mon 20-Jun-05 18:12:41

you sound like you're having a really rough time of it...have you tried the la leche leaqgue (02072421278) or nct breastfeeding (08704448708) helplines? The nct one really helped me when I had mastitis etc. We had trouble with latching and it didn't really come right for me until about 8 weeks, then went on to feed until 7/8 months.

tiktok Mon 20-Jun-05 19:31:24

Opera...don't just 'give it time'. You need help, and good information. If you have thrush, both you and the baby need treating. You need someone to observe you feed and perhaps amend the way you have your baby positioned and attached.

Call those helplines tonight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now