Talk

Advanced search

Expressing in preparation for holiday

(3 Posts)
maldivemoment Wed 11-Nov-09 11:02:29

Hi Folks

I used to be a bit of a lurker on these boards, now I seem to be posting frequently!

I'm hoping some of you can, once again, share your experiences and knowledge.

Some you may know I was worried that I was not satisfying my baby's appetite by breastfeeding. I think I have gotten over that worry so my next question is this; I am going away with family over New Year and would like to have a night (or two) where I could have some wine with dinner/champagne, so where do I even begin with expressing in preparation for this???

- Should I express every day from now and store milk in freezer?
- When do I express? After a feed?
- How long should I express for?
- By then Little Maldive will be 3 months. How much should he be getting each feed?

I'm sure there are other questions I have not thought of so any / all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks from this first time Mum!

belindarose Wed 11-Nov-09 11:21:56

Have you tried expressing yet? Seems like some people find it much easier than others. I express around 100ml each time (double pump). If you get this much, then you'll only need to express a day or so before you go.
After expressing for all DD's feeds for the first month, she's breastfeeding successfully now. I still express once a day (before I go to bed) and also collect milk from my very leaky other breast while feeding. This gives me enough for her daily bottle feed (7pm ish). She takes what seems a huge amount at this feed - about 250ml. I think this is just tanking up for bedtime though. If I ever bottle feed her while out or if someone else does when I'm away, she has about 150ml. She is 3 months now, by the way.
Also, people say on here that drinking some alcohol and BF is fine. I'm doing it (not getting drunk, just a glass of wine - tried having two one night and felt terrible!!).
HTH - good luck.

CMOTdibbler Wed 11-Nov-09 11:24:03

I'd just have the couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and not worry about expressing. A good rule of thumb is that if you are safe to look after your baby, you are safe to bf - it is removed from your milk at the same rate as from your blood so it's not like it builds up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now