Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I've got Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease!

(4 Posts)
TBMOM Tue 10-Nov-09 22:09:27

Hello! Just got a question regading immunity from BFing.

I felt really rotten on saturday, ached all over, fever, shivering, headache, no appetite then started with what I thought was tonsilitis. Yesterday I developed a rash on my palms and soles of my feet that burns and itches yet my throat is much better.

I found out today from the chemist that I have HFandM Disease and was wondering if anyone else had had it and what it was like for them also I was hoping if anyone could tell me whether it's likely my BF 13mths old son will get it now or do you think that I will have provided him with immunity from it as I would hate for him to suffer as I did this weekend especially as it's supposed to be mild for adults! Ha!

mamaloco Wed 11-Nov-09 08:48:16

I had it from DD when she was about same age as your son. It is very unusual to get it first (you are usually not crawling on the floors, touching everything, and putting dirty things in your mouth as an adult), are you sure your bay didn't have a very mild case before giving it to you?
but then may be you had contaminated food?
It is v. contagious, doctors told me to stop cuddling and kissing my DD when she was ill (hmm what kind of monster would I be not to confort my sick baby?).
So chances are he/she will get it (if not already), you BF will help him go through more quickly (I think but I am not a doctor!)

mamaloco Wed 11-Nov-09 08:49:15

your bay??? Baby of course

TBMOM Thu 12-Nov-09 20:34:59

Thanks for that mamaloco. I don't remember him being at all unwell prior to me becoming unwell so I really hope he doesn't get it now.

Contaminated food. Urgh! I'm trying not to think about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now