Talk

Advanced search

fore milk and hind milk question

(4 Posts)
rubyslippers Tue 10-Nov-09 11:26:19

is it all a load of rubbish about fore milk and hind milk with the hind milk being more satisfying?

DD has always been a quick ish feeder and she now seems to be feeding even more quickly so should i be worrying that she isn't getting enough "hind" milk?

she is pulling off the breast or just chewing my nipple about 3 minutes into a feed

i offer her 3 - 4 sides per her awake time in the day and she feeds every 2 - 3 hours night and day

i keep reading conflicting information about fore and hind milk ...

DD is pooing and weeing (a lot) and gaining weight and is very alert

TIA

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-09 11:48:39

Hindmilk and foremilk are poorly communicated to mothers - you don't necessarily have to 'drill down' to the hindmilk and happy, healthy babies can be trusted to take what they need in the time that they want.

You can find a good explanation of hindmilk and foremilk at http://www.kellymom.com - click through to find 'how breastfeeding works'.

tiktok Tue 10-Nov-09 11:49:10

www.kellymom.com

BoffMonster Wed 11-Nov-09 22:22:11

Foremilk and hindmilk are (I think) terms used in the dairy industry. Foremilk means milk taken for testing at the beginning of the feed, and hindmilk is milk taken for testing at the end of a feed. Their association with human feeding is actually coinicidental and not the exact scientific term we are all led to think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now