Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ebm basics please!

(19 Posts)
vic891 Sat 18-Jun-05 11:17:27

ds nearly 5 weeks and i have just expressed for the first time (50ml in 5 mins - omg!!!). i took this all from one breast - is this the best idea? also - when it comes to giving it to him (had planned to use it for last feed before bed - or maybe 1st feed of night??) do i warm it in the same way as you would with formula (friends use hot water in jug, bottle in jug)? also (sorry) - if i do decide to keep it for 1st nighttime feed, will it be OK not warmed?

thanks! will prob think of even more Qs in a min...!

vic891 Sat 18-Jun-05 11:20:33

ooh yes, and how much should i expect him to take??? 50ml looks such a lot!

norash Sat 18-Jun-05 12:34:43

Vic how long does he usually feed for?

norash Sat 18-Jun-05 12:37:07

I used to express when I had alot of milk and sometimes I got like 100ml in like 5-10mins .

Kelly1978 Sat 18-Jun-05 12:42:14

Hi,
I would try to express in between feeds, or after the mornign feed if you have more milk then. You should express from both sides, alternating the breast as the supply slows, until the flow has slowed right down.
If you are plannign to feed it within 10 hours, you can leave it at room temp and so it prob won't need reheating. Otherwise it will last in the fridge for up to 8 days.
I've fed my twins on ebm since they were a couple of weeks old, as I found it easier than feeding them on the breast. At 5 weeks they took 100-120 mls at each feed.
Hope that helps, i got loads of advice from ppl on here.

vic891 Sat 18-Jun-05 14:16:45

norash - he doesn't feed for long - was averaging about 15 mins, but in this hot weather he's dropping off about 10 mins (which is another worry - is he getting enough??).

kelly - if i express from both sides (and empty both breasts) what if he then wants to feed an hour or two later - i presume i won't have enough to satisfy him?? btw, were your twins taking 100-120mls each, or between them? 50mls looks such a lot.

hercules Sat 18-Jun-05 14:19:32

vic- you can never empty your breasts. Just feed your baby as normal.

hercules Sat 18-Jun-05 14:22:22

brill site

vic891 Sat 18-Jun-05 15:03:26

hercules - you're a star - that site is just what i was lokking for - thanks a million.

am gobsmacked by (a) how much lo gets through in a feed (and am reassured that when he's sick [often, quite a lot] he's not bringing up the whole feed, and (b) that BBs "refill" constantly - had thought it would take some time for them to get back to the point where i could feed from them again.

no wonder he's gone from 7lb 5oz to over 10lb in 4 weeks

hercules Sat 18-Jun-05 15:08:04

It used to really frustrate me when I'd be pumping for ages and not getting anything then dd would come along and have a 20 minute feed!

vic891 Sat 18-Jun-05 21:59:22

well, first ebm given tonight, and he absolutely wolfed it down. had read on kellymom.com to try to mimic bf by pausing etc. but he didn't give me a chance - screamed if I moved the bottle away! anyway, the 3 fl oz disappeared fast, and i had to put him to the breast afterwards as he was crying for more. the 3 fl oz was what i'd worked out from kellymom.com, but maybe i just have a greedy baby - think i'll try for 5 next time.

hercules Sun 19-Jun-05 07:53:37

please it went so well!

Kelly1978 Mon 20-Jun-05 15:51:36

Mine were takign 100-120mls each. They are 12 weeks now, and have 190mls per feed. Sometimes they need more, or feeds more frequently. I notice int he hot weather it goes more bluish and is more watery, and doesn't satisfy them for so long, but I think it's so they get the extra water they need.
It seems liek a large amounts, but it is surprisign how much your breasts do produce. I usually express about 350mls in the morning, and abotu 180-220mls at other times. It jsut takes a little practice. Good luck with it!

JennyWren Mon 20-Jun-05 16:45:06

Hi vic891.
Just to give you an idea of quantities - I am expressing all my dd's milk as she is having a hard time adapting to breastfeeding - although today we got her to feed from me for the first time, albeit using a nipple shield. I am thrilled!
But more to the point, dd is 2 weeks old and is having six or seven feeds a day of 90ml each. So your ds probably needs at least that. It did take me a while to express that much, but it gets easier with practice. At the moment I express for 20-30 minutes in total, alternating between breasts as the flow slows, and get 90-100ml.
Also, dd will drink it warm, room temperature or straight from the fridge - much easier, and saves her getting upset waiting for it to warm up and saves both of us sleep time during the middle of the night feed! Try your ds with the milk cold - if he refuses it, just put the bottle in a jug of hot water - from the kettle if you like, or, as I do, just hot water from the tap. The milk doesn't get as hot that way, but it takes the chill off without waining for the kettle to boil, which always seems to take forever when dd is crying!

Kelly1978 Tue 21-Jun-05 08:32:52

i also feed straight from the frige in this weather - helps to keep them cool!

vic891 Wed 22-Jun-05 21:38:01

thanks for all your tips. have carried on expressing once a day to give a bottle at one of the late evening/night feeds. new problem though - he's ben throwing up quite a bit afterwards. he wolfs it down so fast that i think he doesn't realise he's taken enough and just carries on. last night dh gave him the bottle (pausing when possible as i'd suggested) - when he came off it regurgitated so violently that it came out of his nose as well as his mouth, poor thing. we could just give him a small amount from the bottle and finish on the breast, but it kind of kills the point of introducing the bottle in the first place (for dh to give the feed). what do you think? btw, ds is a power-feeder on the breast too - only needs 10 mins max (and is obviously getting enough - is putting on nearly a lb a week) - so you'd have thought he'd be ok with the bottle...

vic891 Wed 22-Jun-05 21:44:52

p.s. another question - if i make the expressed bottle last 2 feeds (using the breast to finish off each feed after each couple of ounces from the bottle, to slow him down a bit) is that ok in terms of bacteria/milk/sterilising? or would the bottle only be good for one feed?

Kelly1978 Thu 23-Jun-05 09:45:32

jsut divide it into two bottles. I sometiems express up to 14oz in one go, then jsut divide it up between 2-3 bottles. Make sure u shake it well before dividing it if it has been standing in the fridge, cos the cream and milk tends to seperate.
Glad its workign well for you.

chipmonkey Thu 23-Jun-05 12:11:55

vic, are you using the slowest-flow teat? If not, that could be why he's drinking too fast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now