Talk

Advanced search

What age was your DC weaned off a bottle?

(14 Posts)
ChocOrange05 Mon 09-Nov-09 18:31:12

I am trying to get DS (1 tomorrow) to take a beaker at bedtime as I understand he should stop having a bottle now but oh gosh - the screaming goes on and on!! In the day he will drink out of anything - open cup/glass, beaker, drinking bottle.

I am sure it is a comfort thing, sucking to sleep, he's not got a dummy and has always been a very sucky baby.

I am interested what age your DC stopped having a bedtime bottle and how you did it?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Mon 09-Nov-09 18:42:14

Well my dd is 14months and I think a bit too young to try and get off the bottle yet, they enjoy the sucking still, although she doesn't suck to sleep and I clean her teeth afterwards.
Like yours she has a beaker the rest of the day so I don't think a quick bottle a night is going to cause any issues, it's not like it's left in her cot full of coke or anything..

HeadFairy Mon 09-Nov-09 18:43:52

Ds is 2.2 and still insists on a bottle at night, but we've had a traumatic prolonged house move recently, so I'm being gentle on him and will let him carry on for a bit longer until he's more settled at home and feeling more confident again.

DanJARMouse Mon 09-Nov-09 18:48:38

Ds is 2 at the end of the month and still has a bottle at night. Drinking out of a cup during the day. We tried the beaker at night but he refused point blank.

My older girls were nearer 3 when they gave it up to be honest, so will try again after christmas - could well have been that we were taking him out of his sleeping bag at night at the same time and he couldnt cope with both things at once!

bergentulip Mon 09-Nov-09 18:50:19

DS1 - 1st birthday. Here today, gone tomorrow. Nice and easy

DS2 - about 14mths.... kicked up a bit more of a fuss but eventually happy to use a beaker at night

ChocOrange05 Mon 09-Nov-09 18:51:43

I think I might start brushing his teeth (he only just has 2) after his bottle to disassociate drinking to sleep. That could be a start. I'm glad to know DS isn't the only stubborn little monster! grin

IdrisTheDragon Mon 09-Nov-09 18:54:33

DD was a little under 2. Her sleep was horrendous and she was downing at least one bottle, often more during the night so I decided to get her "big girl" beakers which she helped to choose and see if that would help.

luckily it did smile

MrsJohnDeere Mon 09-Nov-09 18:56:01

12 months for both of mine. I figured it would be easier at that age than later when tantrumming toddlerdom had really kicked in.

Ds1 didn't drink any milk for a couple of days, then realised it was a cup or nothing. No priblems at all with ds2 - I guess he was used to seeing ds1 drink from a cup.

ChocOrange05 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:04:02

So you went cold turkey MrsJohnDeere I tried with DS last night and after drinking half an oz out of the beaker he just screamed and I decided to put him to bed without any milk and he screamed so I gave in. Did your DS go to bed ok without a bottle then?

MrsJohnDeere Mon 09-Nov-09 19:08:48

Yes, he was fine. He'd been used to having bath, milk, then stories. I just skipped the milk stage and had more stories.

GhoulsAreLoud Mon 09-Nov-09 19:11:12

12 months here too. Just stopped giving her a bottle.

Gave her a banana in the morning to replace her morning bottle, didn't bother with anything in the evening.

She just drinks cows milk from a doidy cup instead.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 09-Nov-09 19:11:20

Ah should have said I offered the milk with his dinner, instead of at bedtime, when I dropped the bottle. I think if I'd offered milk in a cup at bedtime he would have thrown it at me!

ChocOrange05 Mon 09-Nov-09 19:13:25

Ha ha ha - DS tries to throw the beaker at me! I know DS is fine without a bottle, its just trying to replace it with something. Maybe we should give him a drink before/after his bath but before he is in wind down/lights down mode? I hadn't thought of that!

susiey Mon 09-Nov-09 19:49:54

when she was 2 she took it fine despite loving her bottle at first she didn't drink the whole beaker but now she'll finish it was just a matter of getting used to it

my ds is 2 in december and is still drinking from a bottle just at night time and afternoon nap and he drinks everything else fine from a cup

they are still such babies I didn't want to take it away earlier

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now