Talk

Advanced search

should i be feeding from both breasts at each feed?

(7 Posts)
olivo Mon 09-Nov-09 13:32:35

this has only just dawned on me blush following some reading, and a comment from a friend. DD2 is 12 weeks old and excl bf. should i be feeding from both breasts at each feed? she has always just fed from one, and feeds for about 10 minutes. she is growing well and feeds about every 2-3 hours during the day, and 3 - 4 hours at night. But am i doing something that will be detrimental?

mawbroon Mon 09-Nov-09 13:42:35

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!!!

Everyone is different. If your dd2 is gaining weight and has plenty wet/dirty nappies, then just keep doing what you are doing. smile

StealthPolarBear Mon 09-Nov-09 13:45:40

no, it's fine, I swap if DD seems to want to or if the other one's engorged and I want it feeding from, otherwise I don't bother!
As mawbroon says, you'd know if there was something wrong

tiktok Mon 09-Nov-09 13:46:29

mawbroon's right - if your dd is thriving and happy, clearly what you are doing suits your baby's needs just fine

With a newborn, it's usually a good idea to always offer both sides - this ensures good stimulation to the milk supply. It's not good to deliberately not offer both sides - as some women are told.

FreeTheGuidoOne Mon 09-Nov-09 13:48:10

Nah, demand feeding is demand feeding. If your dd wanted more she'd ask and if she's happy and healthy then not to worry.

I never offered both sides and am still feeding at 2.6yrs. She stayed on the 99th centile or above with just one side so was fairly efficient. Like you, it never occured to me to offer more. If she'd wanted more, she was certainly a baby that would have made her hunger very obvious.

anothercoldcupoftea Mon 09-Nov-09 13:53:58

Yup, another vote for don't worry about it here. I've always just fed from one side, think its because I've got lots of milk - fed DD1 for 12 months and am on month 5 with DD2. DD2 makes it very clear at 6pm that she wants a second side (ie is still restless, chewing my shoulder etc) - apart from that time of day, is more than happy with just one side and won't take the other (although she feeds rather often during the day!).

olivo Mon 09-Nov-09 14:01:52

merci beaucoup for your reassurances. Not sure why I've suddenly started to worry about it now hmm She's only ever had both sides when she did her cluster feeding thing for a few weeks. i do seem to have lots of milk this time, and she regularly wees ( only poos once a week since medication for reflux); no idea about her weight but growing out of her 0-3 months so must be gaining well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now