Talk

Advanced search

Mix feeding.

(3 Posts)
staryeyed Mon 09-Nov-09 11:45:37

Ds is 6 months old and I managed to get him to take a bottle last week (had a course to go to. I did want to stop bfing but now the pressure is off I don't mind continuing both breast and bottle. Ds2 obviously prefers breast and Im not sure how I should be doing this practically when to give the bottle and when to give breast as Im confusing poor DS2. Any advice experience?

ChocOrange05 Mon 09-Nov-09 12:32:49

Hi

I mixed fed from when DS was 6 weeks old, since then his pre-bedtime drinks have always been bottle and the other times in the day were BF. I found if I tried to give DS a bottle at other times of the day he would flat out refuse but if they were the same times he was fine (apart from the odd bottle refusing at 4/5mo)

When DS went to the childminders at 9mo he was fine having his daytime feeds (apart from morning) as a bottle and since going back to work the few times I have had to travel overnight he has taken his morning feed in a bottle from DH (this is still a BF) but this didn't happen until he was 10mo (he's 1 tomorrow).

Are you able to make certain feeds bottles and others BF to give him some consistency? Otherwise maybe if your DH/partner always gives a bottle that might make a distinction between you = breast, DH = bottle??

HTH!

staryeyed Mon 09-Nov-09 18:00:40

Thanks. I was making it night time breast, day time bottle but I messed that up the other day when he was really trying and his bottle wasn't ready. Now he tries for breast all day long. I suppose night and day would be a good pattern to adopt assuming that maintains my milk supply

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now