Talk

Advanced search

7 mo old ff and needing feeding during the night after months of sleeping through

(7 Posts)
Carikube Mon 09-Nov-09 09:15:08

DD has slept through since she was 2/3 months old. We recently went to NZ on holiday and although her sleeping patterns seem to be almost back to normal, her feeding is all over the place.

I used to feed her at 7pm-ish and she'd be fine until 7am; now I do a dreamfeed when I go to bed and I'm still up at least twice in the night when she'll have decent-sized feeds (and go straight back to sleep).

How can I get her back to sleeping through - am I making a mistake in feeding her in the night (though she does seem hungry)? I'm trying to encourage her to feed more during the day but she's not very interested.

We're doing BLW and as she's still only really at the 'discovering food' stage; she's not really swallowing anything so formula is her main/only source of nutrition at the moment.

mamaloco Mon 09-Nov-09 13:59:40

If you are doing BLW, she is probably telling that she needs more solid food now by waking up in the night.

Carikube Mon 09-Nov-09 15:31:11

Would this be true though given that she isn't actually swallowing anything yet (and there has been no evidence of her doing so in her nappies?). I'm offering her solids on a regular basis but she just plays with it. She's not even having as much milk as she used to during the day but is just making up for it at night.

mamaloco Tue 10-Nov-09 09:07:33

may be she is still jet lag? try to offer bottles during the day even if she doesn't ask for it and stop one of the feeding in the night (it will be very hard for you...), then the other. Sorry not to have more to help but by 7 months most baby do need solids, she will swallow soon and hopefully this is going to be over.

Carikube Tue 10-Nov-09 09:09:57

Thanks - it was a better night last night with just the dreamfeed and another feed at 4.30 so hopefully it's just the time needed to get back on to the UK clock...

BertieBotts Tue 10-Nov-09 18:45:16

That sounds pretty normal actually - it could be related to the jet lag (here's hoping!) but they do start waking up again in the night at this age. Keep going with the BLW - they seem to suddenly "get it" one day and it all clicks into place. Remember "Food is for fun until they're one"!

cassell Tue 10-Nov-09 18:51:40

Ds, also 7mo, is doing this as well. He used to sleep well but now wakes a couple of times and seems to want feeding as opposed to just settling. We're doing BLW too and like your dd carikube he is not really swallowing anything nor is he feeding as much in the day as he used to (he feeds as frequently but only for c5mins). He is teething at the moment though so I think that is contributing to the waking. Also he is always rolling over in his sleep and then hitting his hand/leg against the cot and waking himself up. I'm hoping it is just a phase...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now