Talk

Advanced search

Surgery for blocked duct - any experience?

(4 Posts)
poppy34 Sat 07-Nov-09 21:13:30

Am now at end of my patience with blocked duct ( short version is this appeared on day 2 with dd and nothing I can have tried over the past 16 months has made any difference- there is also no visible nodule or mark to show blockage so it's quite deep). Have been having it drained by needle about once a month but blockage keeps recurring and it's now getting to be a pain .

Consultant has now admitted he has ne'er had a patient with this problem for so long and mentioned again surgery. Does anyone have any experience of this? How long does it take to clear up ( some mention was made of needing a drain for a while)? How does this work in practice (ie is it tricky to pick up etc a toddler)? And how much scarring do you get (although this a lesser issue as frankly having something that grows to the size of a golf ball on your breast every month is not attractive)?

Am not bf still but any experience welcome.

whomovedmychocolatecookie Sat 07-Nov-09 21:16:35

Still? Oh poor you!

Well I can only tell you about surgery I had to remove a major abcess from the central part of my breast, which involved a general anaesthetic and two stitches. It was fine. I breastfed afterwards (not immediately afterwards this was pre-urchins) with no problems. There is no scar, the drain was in for 48 hours during which I was kept in hospital. Was no worse than having my tonsils out and god the relief!!!

joyjac Sun 08-Nov-09 00:12:24

Is it possible that it is a galactocele rather than a blocked duct? Have had a friend with one of these and she has had it surgically aspirated once but it returned after just a few months. At it's worst it is slightly larger than a golfball. See galactoceles. There must be better references but I am too tired to search just now. 'Breastfeeding and Human Lactation' is a very sound text though....

poppy34 Sun 08-Nov-09 08:39:22

Yep it is a galactocele but having posted that before and got no responses used blocked duct as shorthand. Many thanks for responses and links - 48 hours sounds ok (someone else mentioned having a drain in for weeks which has given me visions of incidents occurring whilst lifting dd out bath etc).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now