Talk

Advanced search

Blocked Duct - Partners Sucking: Any Advice out there?

(7 Posts)
Jools78 Sat 07-Nov-09 15:11:30

Still got the blocked duct. Sending DD off to my mum's so that DH can help me over the next 12 hours to massage when I feed DS. Lump is deep in Left breast, rises to surface when massaged so feel optimistic he might be able to massage it out, but has anyone ever got their DH to suck out a blockage?! Think I read it on another thread somewhere. I really want to get this out without needles or incisions so please anyone who has done this let me know techniques... Thank you.

Oh, and at the moment DH is clearing a blocked drain! He has spent 5 hours with rods down a smelly drain for our kitchen sink. Oh, the irony.

Grendle Sat 07-Nov-09 17:39:14

Never tried this personally, but have heard of other couples doing it. I've also heard of large-breasted women who could clear their own blocked ducts shock. Unlike a baby, an adult can't suckle, so it would be suction you'd be looking at.

Do you have a visible white spot on the nipple (bleb) or is the blockage deeper than this in the duct?

Jools78 Sat 07-Nov-09 17:44:35

Thanks Grendle. Much deeper - no pleb... Can't reach my own, unf.

Grendle Sat 07-Nov-09 18:15:22

i guess do all the same things as you would before feeding a baby. Lots of warmth (bath?) and massage and perhaps a bit of combing with a wide-toothed comb (again often easiest in bath with soap) and then feed baby. With baby trying lots of different positions can help too, as ducts don't make straight lines to the nipple (unlike spokes of a wheel) so somtimes putting baby's chin in a different place drains the affected part more effectively. "Gravity feeding" where you put baby on back and dangle over them also sometimes helpe. Guess you could try the same sorts of things...

ahedgehogisdueinMarch Sat 07-Nov-09 18:23:41

When I had a blocked duct I used a cotton wool ball soaked in Olive Oil in my Bra which did something because I could then squeeze it out in the shower

Jools78 Sat 07-Nov-09 20:49:33

Thanks - considering trying it tonight/in morning. Have tried all those things, except the olive oil... will give it a go!

Grendle Sat 07-Nov-09 20:59:12

The olive oil is for a blockage right on the nippl, i.e. a bleb, to soften the ending before trying to squeeze/suck/puncture the visible gunk out. It's unlikely to have any effect on a blockage deep in the breast. Good luck smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now