Talk

Advanced search

Calcium, nutrition and Breast feeding

(13 Posts)
JamInMyWellies Fri 06-Nov-09 17:17:43

I have jsut had a very upsetting encounter at the Doctors but thats a whole other thread.

He made a comment about breastfeeding and did I drink milk as if I didnt then my body would be depleted of calcium as it would all be going to the baby. THis is total tosh isnt it. I am righ to be a bit hmm about it.

WoTmania Fri 06-Nov-09 17:20:20

Yes, because cows drink milk to make milk hmm. You will be fine
There is evidence that yes, your bone density lowers slightly while BF BUT comes back (often stronger) and this starts when you start weaning i.e around 6 months

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 17:22:35

Yes, you are right to be hmm. According to my mother having 2 children and bf is the reason I recently had a filling hmm

JamInMyWellies Fri 06-Nov-09 17:25:38

Am not even feeding now either it was a coversation about a weak wrist. This is the same Dr's surgery who told me that there were no benefits to feeding past 6mth.

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 17:26:37

eejits

WoTmania Fri 06-Nov-09 18:29:36

muppets

StealthPolarBear Fri 06-Nov-09 19:04:11

indith, i hate to say it but she may be right...all that cake wink

(disclaimer - i have a mouthful of fillings)

Indith Fri 06-Nov-09 19:09:17

grin I expect my slight addiction to Tesco Finest Choclate mousse while pg with dd may have had something to do with it (why Tesco Finest I don't know but nothing else hit the spot). My mother claims it is because I don't drink milk though. You'd think milk was the only source of calcium in the world.

StealthPolarBear Fri 06-Nov-09 19:18:49

ooh that sounds nice - mousse is one of those things I never think to buy but whenever I have it I remember how much I love it

beanbearer Sat 07-Nov-09 20:40:19

Here's what Kellymom has to say about calcium, in case you want to try to educate him next time you're there. GPs receive precisely zero training in breastfeeding (my sister and her husband are both GPs) but because they spend their entire careers trying to reassure patients, they tend to make authoritative statements even when they don't know the answer, without thinking about the harm they may do in the process.

JamInMyWellies Sat 07-Nov-09 20:47:11

Thanks beanbearer.

sweetkitty Sat 07-Nov-09 20:49:43

I take calcium supplements as I have been pregnant or BFing forever and don't like the taste of milk.

Don't you know cows drink sheeps milk for their calcium grin

If cows can make milk on a diet of grass I think humans will do just fine

GruffaloMama Sat 07-Nov-09 21:05:11

You'd think that a doctor would work out that humans have been making milk for a lot longer than we've been domesticating moo cows, and from an evolutionary perspective it'd be suicide if bfing suddenly meant that all your bones fell apart. But then why would they think before they open their mouth? I got told last week that BFing my 13 mo DS through a tummy bug wouldn't "do him any harm" by a HV. But that toast would be better as a form of nutrition. Of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now