Talk

Advanced search

3 week breastfed not pooing regularly

(8 Posts)
Shatteredmom Fri 06-Nov-09 14:51:50

Hi, I am exclusively breastfeeding DS and enjoying it this time round. He is a great feeder, putting on weight and has lots of wet nappies. My only concern is that he doesn't poo very often. He went regularly for the first ten days then started a pattern of every 2 days. Now he has gone for 2.5 days without a clearout. He appears uncomfortable, lots of little cries and puling of legs from time to time. I am not sure whether this is normal or whether I should talk to my GP. Any advice very welcome.

wicked Fri 06-Nov-09 15:14:58

Normal. Even once a week is normal.

canihaveapeeinpeacepleasebob Fri 06-Nov-09 15:18:27

Lots of bf babies don't poo very often, sometimes they can quite happily go over a week without one. As long as you are having lots of wet ones I wouldn't be too concerned.
Try a nice warm bath and a little tummy rub of you think it's hurting him.
If you are concerned speak to your mw or hv. My mw gave me some great tips for getting rid of wind. (for baby, not me grin)

ladylush Fri 06-Nov-09 17:05:41

I posted on mnet recently as bf dd didn't poo for 7 days. Got lots of reassurance that this is normal. Apparently there is very little waste in breast milk and that's why babies don't need to go very often.

tiktok Fri 06-Nov-09 17:10:47

This is unusual, in a baby as young as this - it's only usual in older babies. But in a baby who is gaining, thriving, wee'ing and healthy, it's not an issue, even at this age.

In a baby of under 4-5 weeks, several poos a day is normal. Then many start going much less frequently.

But if all other signs are ok, then the baby is ok, too

Shatteredmom Fri 06-Nov-09 17:29:28

DS has gained 8oz in last week and poo is seedy bright yellow and vast in quantity when it eventually arrives, so I think he is getting the right balance of fore and hind milk. He is visibly getting chubbier each day, but I am worried that something could be wrong with his digestive system given the lack of regular poo appearances when he is feeding so well.

canihaveapeeinpeacepleasebob Fri 06-Nov-09 20:29:35

If you're worried speak to your hv, even if it's just to stop you worrying, they won't mind.
I did exactly the same when my ds2 was three weeks old, but it is normal, even at this age. Ds1 did and still does poo for England!
It's like ladylush says, breast milk is good stuff, so they use most of it.
Ff babies poo much more as there's lots of stuff in it that's not needed.
Sounds like your ds is doing brilliantly, but I know it's hard not to worry, especially when your tired.

EightiesChick Fri 06-Nov-09 20:32:33

Sounds normal to me and tallies with what the others in my ante-natal group experienced too. One baby (then being BF) was only pooing once a week! Speak to a HV or midwife about the wind, cycling their legs and baby massage may help. My DS just seemed to grow out of it after a few months. But don't worry about the (lack of) pooing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now