Talk

Advanced search

Seems I upset Ms CBC..........

(16 Posts)
mummyfuss Fri 06-Nov-09 12:38:00

I know this is going back a bit but I just had a quick nosey at CBC's blog and had to share :-

http://authorsplace.co.uk/clare-byam-cook/blog/breastfeeding-problems-resolved-but-shame-about -th/

seems she obviously feels quite threatened by the opinion of a "small group" of women if you ask me hmm

Now I wonder why there's no room for comments............

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 06-Nov-09 12:42:44

she does seem a trifle defensive!

MrsJamin Fri 06-Nov-09 13:04:13

authorsplace.co.uk/clare-byam-cook/blog/breastfeeding-problems-resolved-but-shame-about-th/ - this is the right link in case people can't follow the above one.

anothercoldcupoftea Fri 06-Nov-09 13:09:15

So its OK for you to post criticisms of her, but not for her to respond? hmm

Seems like quite a reasonable post to me (hers that is)

mummyfuss Fri 06-Nov-09 13:15:13

Oh, no. I have been waiting for a response. I wonder what took her so long.....can't be that hard to make up, sorry find fans can it?
She failed to mention that the criticism came from qualified breastfeeding counsellors/peer supporters and IBCLC's - no mention of the fact that her "advice" is not evidence based, and that there is much evidence based research out there that laughs in the face of much of what she says..........but then, I suppose it's just a small group of women.

HerBoomWhizzBangitude Fri 06-Nov-09 13:24:41

"So its OK for you to post criticisms of her, but not for her to respond?"

No place on her blog to respond to anything she's said. So she's only keen on responding, if it's her.

anothercoldcupoftea Fri 06-Nov-09 13:31:55

I don't know what the issues are with her advice (and don't want to get into it - I don't have the time or the inclination!), but it seems a little harsh to accuse all posters saying they found her book helpful of being fakes! Pretty much undermines them no? Which is something a 'qualified' counsellor should be wary of doing...

FWIW I used her book and video for BF my first DD, and found it extremely helpful and practical. Without it there is absolutely no way I would have BF for a year (which is a darn good job, as DD1 turned out to have a dairy allergy), and be BF DD2 again now. I don't know what is 'correct' and 'not correct' advice, I just know that it helped on many occasions and that I'm not a fake! So perhaps not as black and white as you make out (and certainly not worthy of a vendetta?!).

foxytocin Fri 06-Nov-09 15:28:47

heh heh heh

she ought to use spell check too.

<pedant>

Aubergines Fri 06-Nov-09 15:33:21

Is she not popular?
I know a few people who had her come and give them advice in the first few weeks of BF. None of them continued BFing and I did wonder about it all at the time.

thumbwitch Fri 06-Nov-09 15:39:35

you might need to be a bit careful here you know - we don't want a re-run of SWMNBN.

foxytocin Fri 06-Nov-09 15:58:58

I'd say that if Auby can produce a few people who can back up her statement then why should she not share her thoughts on this forum. She is only speaking from her observations of some of CBC's clients who she actually know, no?

<devil's advocate>

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 06-Nov-09 16:12:32

The silliest thing I think I ever heard this breasfeeding epert say was on brakfast tv and in relation to the law changing her in Scotland about bf in public.

She said there was absolutely no reason why breastfeeding mothers need to or should bf in public, if you bf and wish to go out then feed first then go out. angry

Oookaaay so for the first few weeks of ds's life I wasn't to leave the house for more than ooh an hour at a time and for months after that no more than 2-3 hours.
Riiiight.

thumbwitch Fri 06-Nov-09 16:12:54

foxy, I was responding to the OP, not Aubergines.

Aubergines Fri 06-Nov-09 16:19:44

Erm, I'm not sure that me citing the true experience of two friends and then drawing no conclusions is equivalent to another MNer stating that GF fires babies into Gaza!

thumbwitch Fri 06-Nov-09 16:20:31

and again, I was responding to the OP, not Aubergines!hmm

Aubergines Fri 06-Nov-09 16:20:45

Sorry, TW, cross-posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now