Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else doing "don't offer, don't refuse"?

(10 Posts)
bobbybob Fri 17-Jun-05 07:06:50

Ds is 28 months. So far longest he has gone is 24 hours, mostly just missing 1 feed in 4.

chipmonkey Fri 17-Jun-05 14:03:48

I did this with ds1 and ds2, but they were much younger, about 12 months, and both used to bottles/cups. They stopped looking for it quite quickly, in a matter of 2 days or so.

bobbybob Fri 17-Jun-05 21:33:06

Anyone else?

Socci Fri 17-Jun-05 21:34:01

Message withdrawn

Socci Fri 17-Jun-05 21:35:08

Message withdrawn

serenity Fri 17-Jun-05 21:44:25

I am, sort of. DD is 19 months and I don't refuse her first thing in the morning, but I do try and distract her if she asks during the day. If she starts trying to pull my top up then 9 times out of 10 she's just thirsty and has lost her cup, so if I find it for her she's satisfied with that.

I hoped she'd forget about it when I was in hospital a couple of weeks ago. Dh said that she didn't seem bothered by not BFing, but within 5 minutes of me getting home she'd settled herself on my lap and latched on - she was very determined.

bobbybob Fri 17-Jun-05 22:49:41

My parents are here and for the first 24 hours his routine was so stuffed and he was so excited that he forgot.

He only has 2 feeds a day so distraction would feel like refusing to me - maybe because he is older. He asks very nicely and if it's not convenient he says "I wait here" and sits down until I am ready.

hunkermunker Fri 17-Jun-05 22:51:54

Aww - BobbyBob, I love Bob! He's such a sweetie!

Doing don't offer don't refuse with DS, but all it means is it's dropped to morning and night and he's fed some more today (about five times) because he's been a bit off colour (teeth, temp) and not eaten much. TBH I'm very pleased he still breastfeeds as I'd have had a much crosser baby on my hands otherwise!

bobbybob Sun 19-Jun-05 07:47:18

Went away for the weekend so that was 24 hours, then tonight he has gone to bed without asking. We will see what the morning brings. I like this way of doing it - I am letting him choose, rather than setting an arbitary goal to stop.

bobbybob Sun 19-Jun-05 23:05:22

He went 36 hours and then ended up in A&E unable to breathe in the middle of the night (not connected) I'm afraid I almost forced him to have a feed to get the antibodies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now