Talk

Advanced search

How often do you express when your LO is in childcare?

(6 Posts)
salbysea Thu 05-Nov-09 19:38:06

My DS is 6.5mths and eats 3 meals a day (solids).

How often should I be expressing? should it be a bottle expressed for every feed he has? this is complicated because if I'm not there he is not too bothered about milk

If I dont express on the days he's in childcare (only for about 5 hrs mind) will his extra feeds on the days I am with him all day be enough to keep up my supply up?

he's in childcare 9 - 2 on mondays, not tuesdays, I am away from him for about 5 hours on wednesdays and for 5 hours on thursdays (with him fri to sun).

Is pumping really necessary?

salbysea Thu 05-Nov-09 19:43:27

p.s. I could go a whole day without BFing without hurting or leaking much, I've never really had engorgement pain despite a good supply

but should I?

is it really detrimental to overall supply?

moopymoo Thu 05-Nov-09 19:47:07

I think everyone is different, but I know for me that 5 hrs apart twice a week at 6 months would have had no impact on supply. I would only express if you need him to have milk when you not there - otherwise dont bother. If supply drops off you can always rev it up again.

salbysea Thu 05-Nov-09 19:55:46

thanks smile

its 3 times a week BTW, not nit picking at you just making it clear for anyone else who may read the thread

see today I fed him before his breakie and again at about 10.30, then he had a MINI snacky feed just before I left. I got home at about 5 and gave him a big BF about 30 mins later (after tea and wee etc grin). Then he had a bottle at bedtime (if BF at bedtime he needs a dream feed as he nods off, hence the bottle) while I expressed 150ml from one side.

I brought my pump with me when I was away but didnt get time to do it

while I was away he only had 120mls of milk (in one go). He had lunch and dinner and beakers of water with meals during this time

So I guess I'm asking if I need to express again later to make up for the 120ml milk feed he had during the day?

acebaby Thu 05-Nov-09 20:01:33

I don't bother - never have. DS1 was in full time childcare from 5 months. He had formula while he was there in a cup (always refused bottles). He would cluster feed to build up my supply again on Saturday morning and we'd be back to normal. Mondays were painful though. I carried on feeding him until he was 2.9 with no supply problems.

DS2 started in childcare when he was 11 months so it was less of an issue, but again I never express except when I'm away overnight.

This is mainly because I dislike expressing intensely and because DS1 would only drink breast milk from me (spat it out if it was in a cup).

salbysea Thu 05-Nov-09 20:06:57

That's good to hear! I HATE expressing

interesting to hear about you LO only drinking BM from you - My DS was refusing all bottles at the CM (after a little sip) until I started sending formula instead of EBM. Now he'll happily take either from her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now