Talk

Advanced search

Tandem feeding going well and a natural term question

(23 Posts)
LeninGuido Thu 05-Nov-09 16:53:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StealthPolarBear Thu 05-Nov-09 16:54:48

no idea but ds is 2 1/2 - much younger i know but id love to know the same...

LeninGuido Thu 05-Nov-09 16:58:10

LeninGuido Thu 05-Nov-09 21:12:38

StealthPolarBear Fri 06-Nov-09 08:31:26

4y2m
(and a bump, since i killed your thread )

fishie Fri 06-Nov-09 08:36:50

i have only one child who i thought was stopping at 4.5, but the recent arrival of cm's baby has triggered a resurgence of interest.

while we are on subject, where is policywonk? she is my contemporary in this.

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 09:13:02

fishie Fri 06-Nov-09 09:25:49

ds starts reception in january, have you seen those threads about stopping in case others at school find out? i think that is a bit harsh although we're down to morning and evenings only and i am going to try to persuade him to stop mornings as it makes me grumpy.

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 09:34:32

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 09:39:49

suwoo Fri 06-Nov-09 09:47:07

Wow, I didn't know you are tandem feeding Lenin. My bf journey reached a sad and premature end so I am envy.

Have been avoiding bf threads recently, but wanted to congratulate you on your success as I'm sure you get many negative comments and 'looks' for still feeding DS1 wink

<<jealous>>

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 11:42:55

policywonk Fri 06-Nov-09 17:55:19

Hello <waves to Len and fishie>

DS2 still going but now only once a day, at bedtime, and can happily miss a day if I'm not around for some reason. I think the milk is long gone (although he did say recently, rather hopefully, 'Perhaps one day it will come back?')

He's 4 3/4 now. I'd really like him to stop by his fifth b'day. I suspect, given the choice, he'd carry on until he loses his ability to latch, and I'm not brave enough to be the woman still feeding the seven-year-old.

Franny's son self-weaned at 4 IIRC.

Bloody well done for keeping up the tandem feeding Len - must feel like a real achievement.

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 18:06:13

LeninGuido Fri 06-Nov-09 18:11:23

Tambajam Sat 07-Nov-09 06:21:52

My son weaned at 4yr (just a few days after his birthday). It wasn't a gradual tail-off. He just 'decided'. He had decided a few days before he didn't need pull-ups at night. He was tandem feeding with his sister at the time.
I honestly wouldn't worry about stil feeding at school. If he's feeding morning and night it will just be second nature to him. He'll no more go around broadcasting it than talk about brushing his teeth in the morning. If you are worried you could just check your not calling it 'boobies' but something more neutral like 'milk'!

LeninGuido Sat 07-Nov-09 06:52:46

Tambajam Sat 07-Nov-09 08:01:35

I think older nurslings do decide suddenly more than you'd expect. The younger ones (under 2.5s) seem more likely to tail off gradually.
Apologies for all the painful typos in my earlier post.

Babieseverywhere Sat 07-Nov-09 08:36:11

Glad to hear older nurselings tend to stop fast, as my 3.2 year old DD shows no signs of weaning and laughs when I suggest the possibility. I am starting to think my 14 month old DS will wean before her !!!

LeninGuido Sat 07-Nov-09 14:46:04

Tambajam Sat 07-Nov-09 17:54:25

Just a week before he suddenly weaned he'd said, "I'm going to keep going until I'm a grown-up, mummy. Until I am as big as you." With the older ones it is often a conscious decision that they then enforce. This is also what happened with Dr Jack Newman's son. One day he announced 'tomorrow' would be his last day. And it was! (He was over 3 but I can't remember exactly how old.)

LeninGuido Sat 07-Nov-09 18:49:10

Grendle Sat 07-Nov-09 19:40:31

It's an interesting discussion. I found that when tandem feeding while my younger one was feeding v frequently and it was in ds's face a lot (IYSWIM) then there wasn't much chance of him stopping. I let him up his feeding from once a day during pg (which I had actively cut him down to as I couldn't cope with more) to around 4 times a day at one point, but then once dd was well into weaning I encouraged him to cut back down again (age gap 2.3 yrs, so I guess this was when he was just over 3). Once he was at nursery school, maintaining just the first thing in the morning feed was easier, and he didn't feed every day. He actually stopped by agreement when he was 3.10 and I was just pregnant for the 3rd time. I exchanged him stopping feeding for a toy he really wanted. It was no problem at all, especially as by that stage he was feeding once a day maybe twice a week, but then dd was walking and talking by then too.

I guess we're not exactly natural term, as at various points I definitely took the lead, but perhaps still interesting as we tandem fed and went on longer than most.

It'll be interesting to see what dd and then the new baby do smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now