Talk

Advanced search

Is follow on milk necessary for Iron in toddlers?

(12 Posts)
poshsinglemum Wed 04-Nov-09 22:28:26

Or have I been brainwashed by the Cow and Gate follow on milk ad.
DD is 16.5 months and still has breast milk. She has a varied diet but dosn't drink much cows milk. Should I give her follow on milk in order to make sure that she gets her daily dose of Iron or would vitamins be better?

whyme2 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:30:02

I so hate that advert. If your child has a varied diet and eats well she should be fine without it.

Poledra Wed 04-Nov-09 22:30:32

You've been brainwashed grin. If she eats a varied diet, she'll be getting the iron from protein, green vegetables etc. I haven't given any of my 3 follow-on milk. I do give vitamins in the winter, but I think that's where I've been brainwashed blush

Olihan Wed 04-Nov-09 22:31:24

You've been brainwashed, sorry smile. Follow on milk is nothing but a marketing ploy to get around the ban on advertising infant formulas.

GreenMonkies Wed 04-Nov-09 22:32:34

No, there's no need for follow-on milk at all. It was created to get around the loopholes on the ban on infant formula advertising. angry

A balanced diet containing meat, fresh fruit and veg will provide all the iron required!

GreenMonkies Wed 04-Nov-09 22:35:07

Oh, and the iron in your breastmilk is bioavailable but the inflated iron levels in follow-on are generally not very well absorbed.

This is one example of how any and all formula advertising undermines breastfeeding, and should be banned outright! biscuit

purpleturtle Wed 04-Nov-09 22:35:43

Because the fact that milk is so 'low' in iron as the ad demonstrates, just goes to show that we generally don't drink milk for its iron at all. Iron comes from other stuff anyway.

Unless you fill them up with formula so they don't eat the other stuff, I suppose. hmm

TheCrackFox Wed 04-Nov-09 22:36:08

No - follow on milk was invented so formula companies could circumvent advertising restrictions.

So long as your toddler has an OK diet then they don't need anything else. However, if you are concerned that they are not have a chat with your GP/HV first.

shonaspurtle Wed 04-Nov-09 22:40:21

I was exactly the same posh. It's such a misleading advert.

So your toddler would have to drink 3 litres or something of iron to get the same as one cup of follow on. What does that actually tell us? That cows milk is not a good source of iron. That's all.

shonaspurtle Wed 04-Nov-09 22:41:04

Obv wouldn't drink 3litres of iron blush. You know what I mean.

poshsinglemum Wed 04-Nov-09 23:15:47

dd really likes brocilli fortunately!

I thought that ad was a pile of cack but I bet lots of people are panicking that their little ones aren't getting enough iron.

leapyearbaby Thu 05-Nov-09 00:18:43

it's been said but just to add it's a load of old bull. better off with dried apricots as a snack or green veg and if you give very dilute orange juice or something with vit c it helps the iron in the veg or apricots or whatever to be absorbed.

those ads make me beyond angry and wish your msg could be used in a court case. WHO bans any advertising that undermines breastfeeding and that's exactly what this ad has done with you and countless others.

grrrrr xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now