Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Migraines and breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
TallPenguin Wed 04-Nov-09 22:11:50

I've got a history of hormonal migraines - just before and after giving birth, and when DS1 and DD1 were 6 months old (at the same time I gave up breastfeeding).

With DS2 who is 8 months and still breastfed, the migraine are horrific - have had 5 in the last 3 weeks, consisting of aura, nausea, headache, fatigue, the works. They last for about 6 hours then I feel lousy for 2-3 days afterwards.

Other than the migraines I'm really getting along with breastfeeding, but am thinking it might be because he's eating more food, breastfeeding less and my hormones are dropping or something? They've never been this bad. Immigran doesn't work, so not sure what the next step is. Have had blood tests done but all came back fine,

Has anyone got any experience of this or any advice? I'm tempted to stop breastfeeding to get my hormones back down to normal levels, but was really keen to get to 12 months this time.

gigglewitch Wed 04-Nov-09 22:22:03

I got migraine when bfing - the only time in my life shock When the dc were starting to wean, therefore not fully bf, the migraines dropped accordingly but only actually stopped when I stopped bfing. You're the first person E've ever "met" who has had the same experience. They found me a med in the end - after much oohing and aahing, a prescription one - but I had to take it when one was coming on and then make sure I had expressed milk immediately (not the first thing you want to do, but hey) and then not give the next feed, express and get rid, from there on fine to bf again... weird, hope I've explained properly. I can't remember the name of it blush It did have the license for use by bf mums but there was no guarantee that a low enough amount went through the milk, hence precautionary advice that I was given.

TallPenguin Wed 04-Nov-09 22:27:14

There was definitely a lot of oohing and aahing at the surgery on Tuesday - the doc printed off lots of contraindications for me to read (that I couldn't see as was still having the aura)... maybe the expressing is the way forward, I might ask them again. Immigran definitely didn't make any difference.

gigglewitch Wed 04-Nov-09 22:38:25

oh lordy, that aura thingy is really not funny. I got the visual disturbance stuff that looked like rain - along with a good spread of lightening flashes thrown in to liven it up hmm grin Looked a proper prat going out with an umbrella when it wasn't actually raining...
Yep, do your research, and defo go back. How old's your babe? As the intensity dropped massively after 5 or 6 mo each time, I was able to carry on breastfeeding, ds1&2 got 11mo each and dd got 17mo, but only because the episodes were spreading out to a more manageable level and had reduced in severity. Don't feel that you have to - your dc will benefit more from having a mum who's not crippled by migraine, than being bf for an extended time.

TallPenguin Wed 04-Nov-09 23:13:13

He's 8 months and v.big and hungry - they're definitely worse this time, I'm thinking because I'm still breastfeeding but only 5-6 times a day. I read somewhere on here about giving water, I might try that as well and just breastfeed morning and night.

Right I'm going to make another appointment, I definitely want something to take when an attack comes on rather than something to prevent them, as hoping it's a short-term thing.

Thanks for your advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now